Looking for coins and bottles in Great Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering are there any good spots to metal detect near shore for coins? I mean east coast states have all this history. Im in mid Michigan and would like to dive for old coins and bottles, so if you know any good spots please let me know :idk:

I've not been myself, but I have several buddies from Michigan who dive the St. Clair River. They find all sorts of old stuff ... bottles, cups, plates, utensils, etc, etc.

Yup. The St. Clair river is the place to dive for bottles, china, anchors, or you name it. Getting in the water is fairly easy along the river. Lots of dangers though. Very high current, lots of boat traffic, lots of fish hooks and fishing line in the water, and lots of debris to bang into or get stuck on. If you go, I recommend going with someone that has experience in the river who can show you the way. That said, I feel the river is some of the best diving a diver can do. So diverse and you will never get bored!

Yup. The St. Clair river is the place to dive for bottles, china, anchors, or you name it. Getting in the water is fairly easy along the river. Lots of dangers though. Very high current, lots of boat traffic, lots of fish hooks and fishing line in the water, and lots of debris to bang into or get stuck on. If you go, I recommend going with someone that has experience in the river who can show you the way. That said, I feel the river is some of the best diving a diver can do. So diverse and you will never get bored!

You're one of the buddies I was thinking of! :wink:

The Caissons in Lake Michigan! It was the dump site from the Chicago Fire. One of our guests found an old shotgun. It's hanging up in our shop now.

I think the Caissons was where Chicago dumped the burned scrap of the Great Chicago fire. I am wondering if it"s legal to remove artifacts from this area. I would like to but won't without being sure as ignorance of the law is not innocente. beware

the "Caissons" is NOT where the debris from the fire was dumped. The city used the fire debris as landfill along the shoreline. I think people got the crazy idea that the artifacts they find in the lake are from the Great Fire just because many of these items were obviously burned. The big hotels and other large building had garbage incinerators. The ashes and some partially burned items were picked up in the freight tunnels and then put on barges for dumping in the lake.
Obviously the Abandoned Shipwreck Act has nothing to do with this, but many other laws do. Just like you are not allowed to take artifacts from State or Federal lands, it is also illegal to remove UW artifacts without a permit from state owned bottomlands. Some states seldom enforce this while others have extreme draconian laws dealing with archaeological and cultural resources. In Indiana, it is illegal to use sonar or metal detectors on public lands or waterways without first obtaining a permit, and the permitting process is not easy. Even though a lot of the "stuff" on the bottom of the lake was garbage being disposed of, it is now considered archaeological artifacts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom