Looking for classes/DIR individuals in my area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been poking around the GUE website, but have been unable to find definite information that I've been looking for. Apparently, there are no OW or Fundies classes listed in my location (Utah, US) or even the surrounding states. Bummer.

In the course information on the GUE website, it states that classes are typically done over a 2-3 day period. I looked at the classes that are available in CA, and I noticed that the classes in Monterey are listed over a 2-week span, while the classes in LA are over a 6-day span. All classes appear to take place in the middle of the week.

Is this the norm? Are all GUE/DIR classes strictly scheduled through the agency itself, or do I have a chance of finding someone willing to set up a specific schedule for me? I was hoping to find a class that was taught over a weekend, so I wouldn't have to miss school. :/

On another tack, I'd like to meet anyone who is involved in DIR in my area (again, Utah - more specifically, Utah County). I'd love to just get together and talk "shop", so to speak. If anyone has any tips or pointers, please point me in the right direction. *chuckle*.

I sometimes feel like I'm on the road (way) less travelled. ;-)

All you have to do is contact a GUE instructor and see if they are willing to travel to your town to teach the class. Your team will have to pay the instructors travel expense but it's not bad when split amongst the team.

This is how I did it. All it took was one email and within an hour, I had a class set-up in my own town.

I used Ed Gabe. Great instructor and all 'round nice guy. He's in Kentucky, Was going to Chicago to do a class the week before he came out to NC to do our class.
Easy and painless to set-up.

Go for it!

Well, not all the classes get listed on the GUE website, and sometimes they get listed only once people start talking about taking them.

I know amascuba took his class in the Denver area (see his report) which isn't Utah, but is one of the Four Corners states. My Fundies instructor has now gone down and taught two classes in the Phoenix area -- You can talk to kcollins about those classes and how they were set up.

I have great sympathy for people who want to adopt this philosophy in areas where nobody else is doing it. I've been incredibly lucky to have a large support group here in Seattle for DIR diving. But then, I'm impressed by people who learn to, and continue to dive and live in landlocked places like Utah!

If you ever get the chance to head out Seattle way, we'll make you welcome and give you a chance to see the system in action. Meanwhile, good luck with your search.

TSandM:
I have great sympathy for people who want to adopt this philosophy in areas where nobody else is doing it. I've been incredibly lucky to have a large support group here in Seattle for DIR diving. But then, I'm impressed by people who learn to, and continue to dive and live in landlocked places like Utah!

The learning's the easy part - my OW cert took place in a 12-ft deep pool and a 98-degree, 30-40 ft viz volcanic crater - nothing cold about it, although my wife used a 3mil shorty in the pool. It's the continued diving in cold water that's the toughie. ;-) I'm most likely going to adopt this philosophy slowly, and as I buy gear of my own. I will still need to use rental equipment, so there will be a gradual crossover to full DIR as I draw upon the experience of others in the local dive club to supplement my own. It's important to me to know and understand what I'm doing every step of the way.

If you ever get the chance to head out Seattle way, we'll make you welcome and give you a chance to see the system in action. Meanwhile, good luck with your search.
Dang. I was just up there last week, visiting my family in Snohomish. Oh well! Next time, definitely will do.

And to the first reply: thank you so much for this reassurance. It's good to know about being able to have instructors come in the area or establish a class, and chances are I won't be able to take a fundies class until next year anyways.

Is there a basic pay scale? I noticed that GUE is a nonprofit organization, but does this apply to course fees and so forth? I can understand travelling expenses, but shouldn't there be course fees too?

There are course fees -- I think Steve's Fundies class is somewhere in the $400 to $450 range now. Plus travel and lodging and food and fills, of course. But I believe instructors are free to set their own prices for their classes, so it may vary from one to another.

You can call Gue and ask them for available Instructors, they have a lot of new qualified Fundies people out there and plenty who are willing to travel.
A lot of Gue classes are also split now depending on the Instructor and will run over different weekends. I've done this because of my work schedule:D

Also, be very wary of advice here on the board, it seems that some very educated and extremely talented writers have their own Dir agenda to push:shakehead:

Ps: Doing a class on vacation somewhere interesting is always an interesting option!

Henry

While you can contact GUE , you are likely better to contact instructors dirtectly as HQ does not keep track of what instructors are traveling and where.
here is link for instructor page.
http://www.gue.com/Training/Instructors/index.html
Best, Bob

FLDVR:
You can call Gue and ask them for available Instructors, they have a lot of new qualified Fundies people out there and plenty who are willing to travel.
A lot of Gue classes are also split now depending on the Instructor and will run over different weekends. I've done this because of my work schedule:D

Also, be very wary of advice here on the board, it seems that some very educated and extremely talented writers have their own Dir agenda to push:shakehead:

Ps: Doing a class on vacation somewhere interesting is always an interesting option!

Henry

Rollerboi-I posted a very similar thread last night asking basically the same question and got the same answers. While there are no instructors in my area, there seem to be quite a few DIR divers that offered to dive with me. It was great to get such good responses so quickly, everyone seems very willing to help new divers...so hopefully you'll get similar responses. I've been talking to Bob Sherwood who has been incredibly helpful and I think I'm going to arrange the DIR-F course with him early next season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom