Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option for you is to consider signing up for a drift diver specialty course. It is done over two dives, and will give you a good amount of knowledge about diving in a current. It also means you have an instructor in the water to focus only on you. Good opportunity to refresh some skills, and take a step forward in your training.

I am not scuba certified yet (working on it now). We are going to Cozumel in a week and a half, and if/when i get certified, I plan on staying shallow. My hubby (Blazinator) and I were there last year and didn't have a problem at all with the current off of our resort. I snorkeled while he dove below me. Just plan accordingly. We got dropped off by a taxi a quarter of a mile Northwest of our resort and drifted to our resort. It was great.

I am not scuba certified yet (working on it now). We are going to Cozumel in a week and a half, and if/when i get certified, I plan on staying shallow. My hubby (Blazinator) and I were there last year and didn't have a problem at all with the current off of our resort. I snorkeled while he dove below me. Just plan accordingly. We got dropped off by a taxi a quarter of a mile Northwest of our resort and drifted to our resort. It was great.
I don't know what it is about Cozumel that switches my north-south sense of direction (due to the sunset, east-west sense is unaffected), but it seems to happen to a lot of folks. Unless the current was running backwards that day (which happens but is usually very localized) or unless you kicked upcurrent the whole way, the taxi dropped you off southwest of your resort. It wasn't northwest in any case because that would have put you out in the channel somewhere. :D

Unless the current was running backwards that day (which happens but is usually very localized) or unless you kicked upcurrent the whole way, the taxi dropped you off southwest of your resort. It wasn't northwest in any case because that would have put you out in the channel somewhere. :D

You and my sweet wife are both correct. Our resort, Fiesta Americana (1st AI resort north of Chankannaab park), is one of the only areas in Coz in which there is a giant, constant-never-changing eddy in which the current near shore is actually running North to South. Current near the wall is certainly running north, but not near shore. I finned out about a hundred yards a couple times to see if it would change or go neutral, but wall is waayyy off shore, and the center of the eddy wasn't to be found. We took a taxi north and jumped in at the Money Bar, then drifted south. Too bad it was the last day. We are looking forward to doing it again in LESS THAN ONE WEEK WOO HOOO!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom