Looking for advice from photgraphers/videographers on camera choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Hello,

As a very amateur photgrapher, the choices for cameras and housings seems a little overwhelming. Although there are many good choices, I am having trouble on weighing out a decision on one that will best suit me.

I am currently using a GoPro with SeaLife lights, and the results have been acceptable to me for the most part, but I am looking for a modest upgrade.

I am not so much interested in macro photography, but more wider shots of coral and larger species of life. Shooting from closer that one foot of the subject is not necessary.

I would like the camera to be able to focus well on everything is it's field of view automatically, but also be able to narrow the focal range manually. Switching between these modes easily would be an advantage.

I particularly like recording videos, and 1080/60 is ample.

I do not intend to use strobes, and find the very wide angle and bubble effect of the GoPro both unnecessary and a little annoying.

I have found a simple solution in the Olympus TG-4 and the Olympus PT-056 underwater housing, which would seemingly give me a quality and functionality that I would be pleased with.

The price of approximately $380.00 for the camera and $300.00 for the housing are acceptable to me.

The main question that I have is that since I will be using the camera exclusively in a housing, the built-in waterproofness of the TG-4 is not a feature that I need, and perhaps do not need to pay for.

So I wonder if I can save a few bucks or achieve better results and/or functionality in the same price range with a camera that is not in itself waterproof.

I know that this is a very wide question, but I do look forward to any of your suggestions.

Thank-you.

Last edited:
The TG-4 is a great camera for starting out in underwater photography, I've been using mine for a couple seasons now and have added accessories as I've grown comfortable/ready.

Even though you plan to use the camera exclusively in the housing, the tg-4 being waterproof is still useful if you ever snorkel or bring it to the beach, pool etc. It's also rugged and stands up to inhospitable environments. Also, if the housing floods, the tg-4 being waterproof gives some extra protection.

If you don't want to use strobes do you plan on shooting mostly ambient or trying to use the onboard flash with the pt-056 diffuser? The UW modes the tg-4 has work pretty well, particularly at shallow depths.

I would suspect that for a camera+housing combo to be capable of notably better results you will need to step up to the advanced compacts with 1" sensors which will not be close to the same price range (unless you look for used options) as the tg-4 and pt-056.

Agree about the TG-4. The fact that it's waterproof without of the housing is a nice bonus just in case you get sloppy with the housing. It could save the camera... It also means that the camera, when used on land, on on a boat, will stay clean and dry in a dusty/damp/sprayish environment.

The TG-4 also shoots a RAW image if you wish. Since you aren't planning on using strobes (something I suggest you remain open to if you plan on ever getting "good" images) the RAW file allows for more options for colour correction etc.

As @Skeptic14 points out above, the price slope gets steep fast. The next system that would be significantly better is likely going t cost triple what you are currently looking at.

The reality is you can look at a dozen options for a camera that's budget friendly and better than a GoPro, but it will just make your head explode.

I know they don't get a lot of love but the Sealife micro is only $400 (no housing needed) and can yield some very nice video and quite good stills. It doesn't have the microscope mode that the TG4 does but otherwise can be quite nice.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom