Looking for a reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marlin813

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New to diving trying to buy equipment here and there I noticed EU sites are cheaper, did some research and found legit ones. But my question is on the DIN ones are they compatible with US tanks ? Or should I just buy an yoke first stage...
Looking at scuba pro mk25/260
Or apeks xtx50 setup

DIN is an international standard so a DIN valve in the US is the same DIN valve in Europe. DIN MK25 will work in Europe, US, Libya, Iran, Japan, etc.

DIN is the same in Europe and North America. Get a DIN to yoke adaptor for not every place uses DIN valves. Scubapro offers a nice DIN to yoke adaptor, although a bit pricey yet worth it.

New to diving trying to buy equipment here and there I noticed EU sites are cheaper, did some research and found legit ones. But my question is on the DIN ones are they compatible with US tanks ? Or should I just buy an yoke first stage...
Looking at scuba pro mk25/260
Or apeks xtx50 setup
DIN is the way to go, and there are inexpensive DIN to yoke adapters that work just fine. It is pretty simple at what they do.

Both regs you mention are good. The Apeks XTX50 was my first reg actually. I still have one of them, but yoke. I need to get off my butt and sell it.

apeks xtx50 setup
My practice:
1. Ask ahead of the type of tank connection required. Many operators are using "convertible" tank ie an insert to turn DIN to yoke(A-clamp).
2. Buy the Yoke version + DIN conversion kit. The adapter will make the 1st stage bigger, heavier and additional failure point.
3. XTX50 set up is usually comes with DST 1st stage. I am not a fan of the turret(I have DST) so highly recommended DS4. DS4 is usually pair with XTX40. The difference between the 40 and the 50 is the adjusting screw on the 2nd stage. All the moving parts are identical.

Get a yoke regulator for the US. I have both. I use DIN on tanks I own with DIN regulators, and a yoke reg when I travel. I dislike using an adapter, because it can make the reg hit you in the back of the head.

In the US and Caribbean rental tanks have yoke valves. However, many rental operators have at least some of their tanks convertible to DIN(called a pro-valve, has an insert that is removed for DIN). You can usually call ahead and arrange for pro-valve tanks, though sometimes they are in limited supply.

Even in the US, many advanced divers (Tech, Side Mount, Cave, etc.) use DIN regulators and either own their tanks or arange to rent tanks with pro-valves.

In the US and Caribbean rental tanks have yoke valves. However, many rental operators have at least some of their tanks convertible to DIN(called a pro-valve, has an insert that is removed for DIN). You can usually call ahead and arrange for pro-valve tanks, though sometimes they are in limited supply.

Even in the US, many advanced divers (Tech, Side Mount, Cave, etc.) use DIN regulators and either own their tanks or arange to rent tanks with pro-valves.
And also bring every allen key needed to remove the inserts. Preferably long ones, so you can apply enough torque.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom