Looking for a place to stay for a week on Bonaire.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm having a little trouble picking a place to stay on the island . . .

A couple of years ago, my wife and I stayed at Buddy Dive. The first room they gave us was full of mosquitoes and mildew (first floor, on the same side of the resort as the office). This was a real problem because I'm allergic to mold and can't dive when congested.

In their favor, they moved us to a beautiful room on the second floor near the dock, which was great, and we had a wonderful time.

Here's the problem. When I called to make reservations, I was told that because the rooms are all owned by people (condos/timeshares??), they can't guarantee any specific room. This means that we could easily end up back in the moldy bug-room, and there's no guarantee of any other available room to move to.

So . . .

I looked around and found Coral Paradise, which looks really cool, however I can't seem to get anybody on the phone, so I'm not sure if they're still in business.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm looking for a place that's on the water, has tanks and is nice, clean and not moldy. A restaurant onsite or nearby would be great, but not required.

Anybody have any favorite places?

Terry

BelMar Condos is the other Buddy Dive location. So you get use of the Buddy facilities - including the drive-thru. They're south of town in Belnem, it's very quiet. 5min drive to town for any kind of food though - near/in the Plaza resort or downtown.

They were ultra-clean when we were there - and a lot newer than Buddy's. The downstairs units have a dive locker outside the back door, the upstairs get a locker by the diveshop on the south end of the property. The property is pretty compressed so everything is close. We rented a classic superior, great sunsets off our patio or the liviing room. Every unit has the same view though. Nice smaller pool also. It's on the ironshore so no beach. Bachelors Beach is just a short walk away.

Tanks are stored on the dive dock and there's a decent house reef - we did it twice since it's so convenient - 50' from your condo to the water. There's also 24hr. tank pickup in the parking lot. I've heard that Buddy does/does not send a boat down to pick you up for dives to Klein etc.

Also Den Laman.... A relatively new facility...

BelMar Condos is the other Buddy Dive location. So you get use of the Buddy facilities - including the drive-thru. They're south of town in Belnem, it's very quiet. 5min drive to town for any kind of food though - near/in the Plaza resort or downtown.

Cool! Thanks, guys! I'll check them out.

Also, any idea what's up with Coral Paradise?

It got some really nice reviews, but I can't seem to get anybody on the phone, email or Skype.

Terry

I recently found this place also. I think it's almost brand new. Must be popular - it's mostly booked thru March. Vinibu, Bellevue #9, Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean--Welcome They use Buddy dive also - I know the building - you could walk from there to Buddy's at BelMar. I see the owner on SB occasionally - DiverVince or VinceDiver or something...

I know where Coral Paradise is but nothing about it. You could walk to Habitat from there. In fact they probably get tanks from them - it's like 1/2 block? And there's Rumrunners and the Pizza Kitchen at Habitat for food. We ate at RR once, service was terrible - not Bonaire casual - but rude and non-existent - but it was fun watching the Tarpon feed in their night dive lights.

You could check with Bonaire - Bonaire Travel and Bonaire Information : Bonaire Pros and see what packages and where that they offer. From everywhere I've looked they are good on prices and list some popular dive resorts/ops.

I'll second Bonaire Pros. Andy is great to deal with. I've booked 5 trips through him and everything has run smoothly. Yes, I might be able to put together a package on my own, but I am lazy when it comes to vacations.

You can also try

Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information

we also rent private homes and villas on bonaire. you can visit rentalsbonaire com and if you like what you see, you can book online. I live on Bonaire full-time, so there is always a live person to call with questions, or anything you might need.

Bellevue is very nice, but not inexpensive. Across from Bel-Mar is a place celled roomers that is very nice. They has a bar with ice-cold beer and also a menu for dinner. Friends say the foold is very good there.

If you are looking for something on a budget the Golden Reef Inn (goldenreefinn com) has nice clean rooms with AC for $70 to $80 per night.

If you are looking for "Coral Paradise" their website is at www coralparadise com and send an e-mail. The phones on Bonaire can be spotty, and Kenny (from Louisiana) is probably out diving.

Good luck and look me up when you get here. I'm the owner of the RE/MAX office.

If you are

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom