Looking for a new Octo......advise, opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins-up

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I am looking to replace my "airsource" type of octo's, with a REAL dedicated octo's . I just dont feel comfortable with the B/C / Octo combo in an OOA situation. I am going to go back to the standard BC fill/purge and get real Octos. I am looking for some input,keeping in mind the following important features I am looking for.
I am replacing 2 octos on 2 reg sets.
1st Reg set is an Apeks XTX 200 Status
2nd Reg set is an Apeks XTX 100
First off it must be of the same brand as my main Regs. Apeks OR Aqualung. This is for ease of maintanance and yearly service, as I want the same shop to be able to service The main Reg AND the Octo.
It must also be steamlined, AND I run my octo's on my LEFT side, under arm, so it must be switchable from right to left......most are.
It must be COLD water usable........down to approx 35 Deg.
Also, I am NOT looking to spend a fortune, I am looking for good value without putting me or my buddies life in danger.

I really like the Aqualung ABS or the Apeks Egress........I have heard mixed reviews. Any input on these? I would really like to go with the ABS, as the Egress seems hard to find.
I also like the Aqualung Calypso/Titan Octo..........any input? I have heard good reviews and have dove with a Titan. It was an easy breather at depth.
I should just get an Apeks XTX 40 or 50 Octo, BUT they are very expensive, and with the economy.........every little bit counts. They are also a little bigger size than I would prefer as a back-up.

Any ideas as to which Octo would work best with my Apeks overbalanced/sealed 1st stages?? Or any other Octo's you guys recommend???

Thanks in advance for any input/help............
Rog

Given your restrictions it sounds like you have already decided and want coformation. Either of your choices are good.

However, for me I chose this for all of your same reasons except the same brand requirement.
Clean, flat and easy to use and, not expensive. I have 80+ dives on mine with zero problems and it breathes fine for an octo. Plus it has never freeflowed!
reg_altair.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. That looks like a nice octo, very slim and I really like the clip........does it work like it should (the clip). Does XS have a "parent" co.?
How cold have you had it without free flows? I regularly dive in 40 deg +or- , and free flows are my biggest concern with a "value" priced octo.
I should have also said that Safety is a BIG concern. I am all about saving a few bucks IF the Octo is a proven performer. But my "buddies" safety is VERY important to me. My dive buddy is my daughter ! I would give her my main if need be!
Thanks for the help !
Rog

The coldest water for me with that octo was 48.
I found online at LeisurePro or ScubaToys, I don't remember which.
My wife is my buddy and I would not risk her life either, she has one as well for me!

The clip works very well and holds the octo scurely until I need it, one pull and here ya go!

I don't know why you choose to run your alt. 2nd from the left....I did the same many years ago because it meant that the 2nd was the right way up, with no kinks in the hose, when used by an OOA diver. This made the hose routing a little messy on the left of the 1st stage, but was worth it for the extra room.....I made the switch to 7' primary and bungied back up 10 years ago, as it was an even better solution.
If this is your reason, you could always go the XTX route as they are ambidextrous...you can have the hose come into the case from the left and still mount it on the right of the 1st stage......plus it's one of the best breathing and reliable regs made.

Fishpie........
I have a few reason for my rigging.
Thats how I learned from day 1. I got certified by a TEC diver, and he gave me some good reasons as to why to run the octo on the left side UNDER arm.
Keep the regs seperate. An OOA diver will be grabbing at both hoses/regs if they are on the same side, and will prob pull the main right out of the mouth of the "assisting" diver.
Also, if the reg is run under the left arm, when an OOA diver starts to panic and pulls on the octo/hose, with the hose under the left arm, he will just pull the assisting diver closer and still facing the OOA diver. If the octo/hose is over the shoulder the OOA diver can become frantic and pull the assisting diver around backwards, not facing each other. That can get tricky very fast.
I was thing of going with a longer main, and a bungeed octo ( I even purchased a longer LP hose), but I am just going to stay with what I am most comfortable with. It too hard to keep switching around to try different configs not to mention its $$$. So I have decided that my rigging is what I feel most comfortable with. I will set up all my reg sets the same way.
I am thinking of getting a Apeks Egress, or an Aqualung ABS, so its usable on either side instantly, and can be used in any direction. I am just waiting for some real world input on these two octos.
Thanks for the input...........
Rog

I believe your octo should be the same as your primary...after all, if you ever need it, it would be nice to have the same amount of breathing resistance...as sometimes you may need it.

I have scubapro 250V/MK25 regs, and apex 200 regs...both have matching second stages on them (with bright yellow miflex hoses on the octo.)

My 2 cents worth.

The service tech at my LDS likes the EGRESS oct because of the design and thinks it's an excellent octo. He even said that he felt it was good enough to use as a main second stag and is better then some of the second stages on the market.

My 2 cents worth.

The service tech at my LDS likes the EGRESS oct because of the design and thinks it's an excellent octo. He even said that he felt it was good enough to use as a main second stag and is better then some of the second stages on the market.

Thanks for the input, Thats what I was looking for. I have been looking for an egress, but they are hard to find. Not to mention that my LDS/ Aqualung&Apeks dealer went out of business. Apeks is only available "over the counter" officially. There are no Apeks dealers close to me anymore, and Leisure Pro has had the egress backordered for some time. I would get the Aqualung ABS, but the Egress is Pneumatically Balanced, for easier breathing at depth. The ABS is not, and I have heard of issues with freeflows.

Still Looking for 2 Apeks Egress............anyone have any for sale ???
Thanks for the help,
Rog

Back
Top Bottom