Looking for a new mask - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyratess

New
Reaction score
Hello all,

Glad to be a part of the board here! I would like to ask for your recommendations on a new scuba mask. I last bought a mask (a basic BARE whatever) back in 2010 when I got certified and, while it doesn't leak, it has recently occurred to me that it's not comfortable and it's definitely not the best fit for my face. Whenever I take it off there are mask lines all over my face, but if I loosen the straps to avoid this then it leaks.

I have insanely high/large cheekbones. I mean man, talk about chubby cheeks. In my current mask, they kind of get squished half into my mask and half out of my mask, which obviously isn't comfortable. Here is a super unflattering picture where you can very clearly see that my cheekbones are squished up into my eyes:

o2aK7rg.jpg

And I guess here is a pic so you can see what my face shape is like:

EwRbfZA.jpg

Are there any masks out there that would better compensate for my cheekbones so I could dive more comfortably? Hilarious as it is having my own cheekbones impair my vision, it would be nice to be able to see better and not have my face feel all squashed after diving.

Any other info you might need for whatever reason:
Budget: $100 or lower (prefer lower but whatever works)
Diving level: Advanced open water / 60+ dives completed
Diving type: Recreational, typically deeper water shelf dives around 85 ft depth

Thank you in advance for any of you who have recommendations for masks that might solve my problem!!

Just go to a shop and try a bunch on until you find one that fits. Different manufacturers don't make specific "kinds" of masks, just shop around until you find something that works for you.

Ditto on what RyanT recommends. I've had success with Atomic, Cressi and ScubaPro. Best to try on several masks/brands at your local dive shop.

You should be able to hold a well fitting mask to your face by gently inhaling, no straps. A dive shop will typically have 15-20 different styles. The one that fits is the one you buy, just like shoes. $100 is a generous budget, you should find something you like.

Oh, and stop smiling, you’re just making the apple cheeks worse:wink:

I have a wide face and cheekbones not all that far off yours. I took a gamble with the $29 divegearexpress mask when I was ordering a bunch of other stuff. It is absolutely fantastic and seals great on my hard to fit face.

Tusa masks have the softest silicone skirts available, so they usually fit many facial features.
I would still start with the dgx mask above.

The Atomic Aquatics Frameless II is a great mask and comes in 3 sizes, well worth a try and much cheaper than plastic surgery!

Awesome, thanks for all the replies! I will give the DGX a try since it's gotten a few votes now.

Unfortunately because I live in the middle of Texas, my dive shop options are pretty limited. One dive shop in town and 5 masks - I figured that you guys would have a wider range of experience :)

No easy answer. Try many and see that one seats properly and doesn't hurt. I've bought at least two over the years (one in the '80s for snorkeling). I found one 10 years ago while diving. While it doesn't have the peripheral vision like some more up to date models, it's the one I've used. The bought ones leaked a little.

Back
Top Bottom