Looking for a new DPV ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Just sold my scooter, looking for a new one!

Had a Cuda650, really liked it, no issues, but I didn’t need the run time for the dives that i’m doing, and the size is a little bigger than i’d like (but by all means, not unmanageable)

So looking for the following in a new scooter:

- 2hr run time
- lighter weight (shorter run time should be a smaller/lighter (and cheaper) battery)
- smaller size
- fairly quiet

I do like the PTB system that dive-x has come up with.

Not a huge fan of the Piraña series for a few reasons... the noise and the trigger. I always knew where those P1 and P2 divers were in the water (and that was when I was on OC, now I’M on CC).... and reversing hands on the trigger is awkward...

Maybe a Frankenstein of a Cuda tail, Sierra body with the PTB and a few 12Ah dewalts?

Prefer NA manufacture, easy to access parts.

Lots of Suex where I am, but I can’t justify that price tag!

Thoughts?

I'm looking to upgrade my Sierra's

I looked at PTB - but it's $900 for the kit plus electronics and then 4 18v batteries (where I looked) would add a further $1400 but the Scooter would still not have the thrust I want

Looks like Bonex for me but that's' a whole different price bracket

why not just get another Cuda and use the PTB? It will be a smidgen slower than it was stock, but will be bloody close.

If you don't like the noise, make sure you don't get a DPV that has gear reduction. Piranha, Minnus/Valkyrie, etc. as the gear reduction is to accommodate a higher RPM motor. Smaller/lighter, but louder. Slower the RPM of the motor and prop, the quieter the DPV.

less obnoxious than the gear driven ones, but it's a scooter so it's still loud, especially on high

Is there one that is even remotely close, on thrust and run time, that is substantially quieter?

Is there one that is even remotely close, on thrust and run time, that is substantially quieter?

no. Motors spinning at high speeds are loud, props at high speeds are loud. It's not really any worse than open circuit bubble noise, but there is no way around the noise

no. Motors spinning at high speeds are loud, props at high speeds are loud. It's not really any worse than open circuit bubble noise, but there is no way around the noise

Got it.

And the Piranha (P1, P2, etc.) and Magnus are even louder because they use gear reduction?

Got it.

And the Piranha (P1, P2, etc.) and Magnus are even louder because they use gear reduction?

Magnus is direct drive. The Minnus/Valkyrie use gear reduction, as do the Piranha series. Just have a higher pitch to them because of the higher RPM motors. Props still spin at the same RPM.

@wetb4igetinthewater In Europe it would be Bonex or Suex for local support. Likely Suex

Back
Top Bottom