Looking for a new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Just over a month ago I managed to bump and break my housing and as luck had it, I was also in the water at that point. Long story short, the leak was minor but the camera ended up getting just enough water on it lose some of the menu functionality. Insurance has stated that is is not repairable and that I now have a virtual credit of $400 to order something else with.

My previous camera was a Canon Powershot S1 IS which was about as large a unit as one can get without going to an actual SLR.

Now being able to take the camera underwater is important to me but I also like to use my camera topside (especially since I can actually get photos to turn out right on dry ground). The powershot was nice because of its 10x optical zoom and numerous settings, but it was also rather bulky. Also, the camera used CF media cards so I've got a whole pile of those -- I'd love to be able to use them in the future but it's not a deal closer.

At this point I'm torn with the idea of getting something smaller like the canon a9 or something bigger and very cool looking like the Canon Rebel (I'm not particular to canon, I just happen to know a little about their cameras).

So, with all of that said does anyone have a suggestion of something fun that will meet the few needs I've specified here? Understandably the $400 credit isn't going to cover a top SLR but anything in within a few hundred dollars is just fine.

Thanks!

Do the Canon Rebel. You can get there within a couple hundred of your credit and then work on a Ike housing. For a budget DSLR system it is a great starter.

Steve B

The Rebel is a nice choice if you really want to go DSLR.

But if you are looking for what I consider an "allrounder" I would head towards one of the Canon A series cameras. If manual controls aren't on your wish list, the Ixus range is fabulous. My Mom was just down here for two weeks and we bought her the SD400 (Ixus 50 maybe?) for Xmas last year. The results of that little unit for day to day just blew me away. Wonderful camera that can go anywhere anytime. But no manual controls so limited uw, IMHO.

I would spend my $400 on a little go anywhere camera as I would use that more. Many models have uw housings, too.

Then if I really wanted to carry something big and bulky around and was serious about getting the best results and having the most creative control, I would save for the dslr.

I didn't use my Canon 20D but once while she was here. A recently acquired Casio 750 was used daily.

YMMV

Well most of the newer Canon's all use SD cards, so I don't know how much use your CF cards will be..

For what it's worth though i'm a big fan of the Canon Powershot S80 and Canon Powershot A620.. :).
The A620 can be had for around $250, the S80 somewhat more, but they're well worth it with a wealth of features.

I'd recommend heading over to www.dpreview.com and comparing and checking out what the latest cameras are and see which fits your needs.

www.digideep.com has a list of housings available (if any) for your particular camera also.

Jamdiver:
Well most of the newer Canon's all use SD cards, so I don't know how much use your CF cards will be

Ya, I've noticed that... oh welll... at least there's eBay. :wink:

Hurry

www.dell.com has a special sale on their Canon Rebel XT $567.00 after discount and Rebates

good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom