Looking for a more aggressive computer algorithm.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has been using an Aladin Prime for the last couple of years, but she's getting so much time out of her tank that the programming on the computer is starting to be a limiting factor. I've started diving 100's to keep up with her, and now we are both coming up due to NDL. We'd like to squeak out a little more time, so we were both wondering if there was a newer algorithm available in a new model of computer that could provide longer bottom times.

We always use safety stops and occasionally deep stops if the dive profile suggests a use for them. Our diving is entirely recreational, usually in the 70-110 fsw range.

I'm not looking for recommendations on specific computers, but rather a line of computer that uses a specific algorithm that is more aggressive than what we are using now.

This is the model we are using.
ALADIN PRIME - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

Are you diving nitrox? Are you diving at least rule of thirds?

Oceanic computers have one of the most aggressive algorithm. There newest computers have 2 models you can use, the standard and then a more conservative one.

I don't think buying a new computer because you don't like the answer to be good. These are just models and its ok to be more conservative. I use oceanic computers but put my own conservative factor on the information it gives me based on the dive.

I belive that the Oceanic Veo 250 uses the US Navy dive tables, doesn't get much more aggressive than that

liberal=aggressive?

Nitrox may be more of what you are looking for, especially in that depth range.

Be aware that 'liberal' algorithims tend to get more conservative on repetative dives.

I absolutely agree with fppf, changing the computer just because you don't like the answer doesn't make any sense.
I assume you are already diving EAN because in the range you mention of 70-110fsw is exactly where you get the most benefit.
Even with EAN, you'll still be pushing into well into deco as your SAC improves and that means altering some techniques - introducing true redundant air sources, training holding stop depths, carry a spool and a deco marker buoy in case you have to do a drifting deco and you want the boat to follow you - or others to know you're there. etc. Rock bottom calculations start getting very important too.

Seeking a more liberal/aggressive algorithm may IMHO be asking for a deco hit. I think you would be better off looking at you diving gas, depth, profile, etc. If you have done all that then perhaps more advanced training that will allow you to safety perform PLANNED deco dives.

We'd like to squeak out a little more time, so we were both wondering if there was a newer algorithm available in a new model of computer that could provide longer bottom times.

You might want to set your expectations appropriately here.

It's not likely that you'll find a "more aggressive" computer will increase your bottom time in any meaninful fashion.

Even going from "the most conservative" to "the most liberal" computer, you're probably only looking at gaining a handful of extra minutes on a recreational profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom