Looking for a DIR-F training buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I'm recently getting back into diving, and hoping to make it a sustainable hobby. It's been an on again-off again relationship for me for a long time. A lot of that I can attribute to never having found a buddy who wants to and can dive regularly.

So here I am, looking for that buddy! I live outside Stockton, so no local diving to be had. I've only dove Monterey a couple of times, and frankly wasn't impressed. I'd love to find somebody who knows that area and can show me why so many people love it. Since I know I'm going to be driving regardless, I'm equally happy running into the bay area (least preferred, thanks to traffic), Monterey, or even Tahoe.

My "distant goal" for diving has always been tech diving. I've always been drawn to wrecks, so training toward deep and penetration (heh..) are my ultimate objectives. Based on available training in the area, and the reputations each agency holds, I've more or less settled on the GUE route. Currently, I feel like I've got a fair amount of prep work before I'll feel ready to try fundies, so I'd like to find somebody who's got similar interests, and is similarly willing to dive for fun, but also for practice to eventually jump into fundies, and maybe training beyond that into the tech pipeline.

Currently I'm AOW/nitrox through PADI, diving single Al80's wet. For all intents and purposes, I'm around 25 logged dives, after losing a couple dozen 10+ year old dives with a lost logbook. Working on DAN Diving First Aid for Professionals (O2 admin, etc) currently, but the "hands on" is indefinitely stalled by COVID.

Obviously no diving taking place for the foreseeable future, but I'm curious if there are any like-minded folks out there who might be interested in planning things out post-apocalypse!

Edit: grammar fail.

There's a huge GUE community here - check out Bay Area Underwater Explorers, if you haven't already. The website is kinda old but the FB group is reasonably active. There's was supposed to be an "open house" type day for new and interested divers that got canceled because of the shutdowns. Keep an eye out for when it gets rescheduled and you'll meet lots of folks with similar diving mindsets as you.

Currently, I feel like I've got a fair amount of prep work before I'll feel ready to try fundies
I'd be cautious about this - what prep/practice are you thinking of doing? Don't try to learn the skills before the class. It's super easy to get used to and build muscle memory for incorrect techniques and those will be hard to unlearn. I'd say the only thing required is to be really comfortable underwater (clearing mask, removing mask, switching regs, etc). Don't worry too much about number of dives you've done, certs, etc.

I've seen the BAUE site, it definitely appears..dated haha. I'm one of those folks who's allergic to facebook, unfortunately. I checked out the BAUE page there, but don't see mention of an open house, maybe because I'm not logged in and/or a group member? That sounds like the kind of thing I'd like to check out.

Definitely not trying to self-learn any skills, that's what the class is for haha. It's just been a long time since I've dove with any frequency, so I'd like to get back to a point where I'm fully relaxed in the water again. Try to hone buoyancy and trim a bit along the way, but mostly just bring back the muscle memory of things like unclipping/clipping my SPG/primary without fumbling, mask removal, etc. I was shocked at how edgy/uncomfortable I was for the first few minutes of my first dive back in the water, it was kind of humbling. The feeling went away quickly, and subsequent dives down as deep as ~120ft felt great. For as challenging as fundies is renowned to be, I feel like I'd do myself a disservice by not going into it relaxed and comfortable with the basics, ready to take those skills to the next level and tackle new challenges, rather than spend class time tripping over myself.

CuriousRambler:

Several other BAUE members and I are somewhat active on this site and on FB. I can't speak for everyone but the majority of the our members have taken a hiatus from diving until Monterey County lifts the shelter-in-place ordinance. BAUE does have a presence on FB. You'll get more response from the FB page, then from SB.

I certainly would not take Fundamentals immediately after Monterey County lifts the shelter-in-place ordinance. You do need to be comfortable in the water. Don't worry about trim, buoyancy, clipping/unclipping, etc. Fundamentals teaches and refines these skills. Once the ordinance is gone, schedule the class while allowing some dives prior, to get yourself comfortable in the water again.

I can relay your contact info to Alberto Nava, the resident GUE instructor. I don't know his schedule but I know that the shops, from where he teaches, have temporarily closed due to the shelter-in-home ordinance.

O

CuriousRambler:

Several other BAUE members and I are somewhat active on this site and on FB. I can't speak for everyone but the majority of the our members have taken a hiatus from diving until Monterey County lifts the shelter-in-place ordinance. BAUE does have a presence on FB. You'll get more response from the FB page, then from SB.

I certainly would not take Fundamentals immediately after Monterey County lifts the shelter-in-place ordinance. You do need to be comfortable in the water. Don't worry about trim, buoyancy, clipping/unclipping, etc. Fundamentals teaches and refines these skills. Once the ordinance is gone, schedule the class while allowing some dives prior, to get yourself comfortable in the water again.

I can relay your contact info to Alberto Nava, the resident GUE instructor. I don't know his schedule but I know that the shops, from where he teaches, have temporarily closed due to the shelter-in-home ordinance.

O

Thanks for the input! Bummer regarding FB being the easiest source for info, but I've kind of grown used to that by now haha.

I'm definitely not going to be diving until the current hysteria is cleared up, and catching up on work might make it difficult to do much diving for a while after. For now I'm just hoping to find somebody who's up for a few dives, without the "let's cover ALL the ground underwater in one dive" mentality, so I can actually focus on my diving a little bit, and not just keeping up with being constantly on the move. I'm sure that will become less of an "obstacle" with more experience.

I haven't reached out to Alberto yet, mostly because I don't really have a remotely realistic guess as to when I'll be available to take the class.

There's an added layer of debate whether I want to pick up drysuit and/or doubles before I take fundies, but each of those would likely involve a primer from Alberto anyway. It kind of feels like taking fundies in a wetsuit and single tank is, at best, a little inefficient if the long game is pursuit of a tech pass and beyond. At very least, that forces the doubles into the equation prior to fundies.

Probably all conversations worth having with Alberto anyway haha. Aside from my internal debates of when to take fundies, I figure I'll need at least a small handful of dives with a partner prior to beginning the class, so that topic still stands :)

Hi CuriousRambler,

Ping me when covid is over. I took fundies a couple years ago. Dive mostly rebreather now but do open circuit dives occasionally using my DIR rig. If I available I can dive with you and try to show what to expect from Beto's class.

CuriousRambler:

Buy your drysuit as you will learn how to use your drysuit in Fundamentals. I took the PADI Drysuit class = worthless, and learned how to properly use my suit during Fundamentals. Also, you're going to be in the water for a very long time. You would need an extreme tolerance to the cold to withstand that type of exposure. You will want a front entry drysuit with large velcro cargo pockets. Nearly all of us prefer attached boots vs rockboots. It's a trade off between having a stiff sole to walk over walks or having the anklfe flexibility. Wih a sport shoe insole, I find my Santi Flex Boots or my DUI Turbo Soles very comfortable, even on hard/uneven surfaces. Most shops will allow you use of the pool to familiarize yourself with the operation of the suit.

If you have never used doubles, then do not try Fundamentals with doubles. Learn proper trim, buoyancy and then get yourself of a doubles. Doubles are a bit more difficult to trim with the added weight of the manifold and additional first stage. Hence most of us are usually are head heavy at first, which is a horrible feeling. Once you know what it feels to be in trim without a single muscle twitching, you will want to remain in that position all the time. It's just relaxing and allows you to focus on other tasks, if needed.

You will want to switch to steel HP100s. You will lose some weight off your belt and increase your gas supply by 25%. They're simply better tanks for cold water diving. Don't need to buy them immediatly. You can rent them from Anywater Sports or from Aquarius. If you sign up through those shops, you may want to inquire about an equipment rental discount.

Once we're clear of COVID19 and restrictions, put up a message on the BAUE FB page. We'll dive with you. I echo your sentiments regarding endless & speedy kickers. Those are not fun dives as you're constantly on the move without a chance to relax and without a chance to enjoy the scenery.

O.

Thanks @vitaly and @Ouvea.

Your point about a drysuit is a good one, and one I hadn't even really thought about. If I'm going to spend the whole class in cold water, it would only make sense.

My plan for doubles was to pick up DGX's double HP100 package, and just run them as singles to start out. Then once I get an appropriate doubles wing and all, put them together and keep moving forward.

I'm not on Facebook, which kind of complicates things, but I've learned to adapt. As I think more, I'm leaning toward getting a drysuit ordered and just continuing to dive until I have that sorted out. I've been eager to get in to fundies for at least 12 years, so no harm in waiting a bit longer haha.

I agree that PADI doesn't teach right to use a drysuit but I wouldn't recommend to combine fundies with drysuit initial learning. Learn drysuit basics and have a few drysuit dives before fundies begin. The class is tough and you don't need extra stress :) Another option is taking fundies in wetsuit and get drysuit primer later. Anyway, email Beto and I'm sure he will give you proper guidelines.

Hi @CuriousRambler, I'm in a similar boat. Did PADI OW/EANx/AOW track last year, and have logged a little over 50 dives in Monterey/PG/Carmel, plus 20 from a warm water trip earlier this year. Own all my gear -- bp/w, 2x HP100 tanks, regs with longhose, 8mm semidry. About 2 months ago I got my first drysuit, and have logged 1 dive in it. Did not take a drysuit course.

The 1 dive I did dry was interesting. Did not have any issues righting myself when I went into feet-up position. Experimented a lot with different amounts of air in the suit, from squeezed to the point of restricting mobility to pumping the thing up like the Michelin man. Did not encounter any problems per se, but definitely have a lot to learn wrt buoyancy and trim. In my wet setup it's pretty dialed in; dry setup not even close -- actually had to touch the bottom once, yikes! Super warm and toasty though, it was raining when we got out of the water. Buddy was cold, I was fine. Definitely looking forward to diving dry some more.

My goals for this year were to 1) become comfortable in a drysuit, 2) learn doubles, 3) take introductory courses with either GUE or TDI (fundies and ITT, respectively). Of course Covid-19 is throwing a bit of a spanner into the picture, we'll see how it goes. I figure I'll dive dry until I feel about as good as I do wet, then reach out to local instructors and see if they think I should do doubles for a bit or go straight into the fundies course (or ITT if I end up going w/ TDI). I think going to doubles would be a manner of wing, bands, manifold, and a left-side valve. Already have a backup first stage and second stage, so hopefully don't need any more regs.

My main dive buddy is a good friend of mine from years back. We dive together a lot and always have a good time, but he's not quite in a position to be as gung-ho about going into tech as I am at the moment. If you'd like to do some dives together some time, I would be happy to dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom