Looking for a combo of big stuff and reefs for a week in mar or july

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Travelling with my husband (getting there but not much experience, 20 dives) and my son 13 (awesome little buddy, solid little diver, but depth limited to 20m). We are going to australia for a few weeks and want to tag a week of diving on to one end of the trip. My husband loves reefs and the pretty, my son and i love the big guys. We are flexible with countries since we are just starting to plan (looking at 2020) and we can go either in march or in july, whichever is the best in a specific area. Wakatobi isn't an option due to price on such a long trip, but I'm not looking to hang with the backpacker crowds either.

- mar or jul
- big stuff
- reefs
- mid rage price
- not too deep

happy for feedback on a country choice (indonesia, maldives, philippines, thailand?) or more directed advice on a specific resort or dive op.

thanks!

Malapascua isn't really suitable for diver with depth limit especially in Monad Shoal to see the thresher shark.
Mar is the best time to dive Philippines.
1. Moalboal, there are dive resorts slightly out of the way.
Whaleshark in Oslob if you do not mind the circus style presentation. You can't get any fish bigger than it.

2. Southern Leyte, a lot better than Moalboal and there is chance meeting with the biggest guy. Nov to May is the spotting season(snorkelling only unless the big guy swim by while you are diving).
Only a handful of operators around and very few backpackers ever make it over there.
Dive resort: Peter's
Welcome - Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte

Thailand July
Koh Tao
Lot of lots of backpackers but there are resorts that you won't find them.
Two sites really stand out: Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock(whaleshark).

The last but not the least: Sangalaki in Indonesia for manta ray. Getting there can be brutal if you decide to take the boat transfer.

There are many suitable places to look at and I only named a few for a start.

Back
Top Bottom