Looking for a camera at around $350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

razorseal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a nice recreational camera for around 300-400 bucks.... I really don't know anything when it comes to this, but perhaps digital with video capability (720 would be awesome) is what I'm looking for.

the budget is around 300-400.

This is for recreational diving to no more than 75 feet at most

I'm actually looking at this for a friend, not myself :) it will be a bday gift to the fiance (lucky eh? lol)

brand, model, I really don't know. let me know, It seem slike canon and nikon are top of the food chain

hey actually im looking to sell my camera mask for $350. i don't know if you know anything about it but its a digital camera that takes video too. it shoots in 720. it goes down to 115ft i believe so you'll be fine because your just going down to 75. they sell the camera mask retail for $250 but i also own the pair of lights they sell seperatly which sell for $89 each or $160 for the pair i believe and i'm also giving a 2 and 8 gb memory card with it. you can look it up on the website the whole package is worth about $460 and im looking for $350. I actually live in boynton beach so im not to far from you being your in delray. i've only used it on 3 dives. So think about it. You can email me at scottyboy561@yahoo.com or something if your interested. thanks and good luck

How about a Nikon Coolpix L20 in an Ikelite housing? The camera is widely available in the $120 price range. The Ikelite housing is in the $250 range. Ft. Laduerdale has an excellent camera shop that has the Ikelite and Nikon camera and they specialize in u/w rigs (Reef Photo). I am not sure what resolution the L20 shoots video at but the stills are decent for a small, inexpensive point and shoot.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a nice recreational camera for around 300-400 bucks.... I really don't know anything when it comes to this, but perhaps digital with video capability (720 would be awesome) is what I'm looking for. the budget is around 300-400. This is for recreational diving to no more than 75 feet at most..

That's a tough budget for what you want. If you don't mind buying a used item as a gift, there are some savings to be had on eBay.

The current top dog Point and Shoot camera from Canon is the S90. You can get a new Canon DC35 housing for about $180. The camera used runs $250-300 on eBay. If you can reach for that, it's well worth it. The camera is great topside and underwater.

It does not do HD video, but honestly that's a good thing. The conversion time of AVCHD videos is twice the play time, so when you go to edit the video it takes so long you don't want to bother. If you want to share a video of your dive, you want to cut and splice a lot of segments and simple MOV video is easy. Also, to shoot really good video you need a couple of $800 video lights, a tray and arms for them, etc. You are talking an extra $2000 to do it right. I don't think that's where you are right now.

My old camera setup is on ebay right now.

Coolpix 5000 with ikelite housing and flash!!! - eBay (item 290465511381 end time Aug-25-10 22:04:03 PDT)

It is a 5 mega pixel nikon coolpix 5000 with ikelite housing and ikelite ds-50 flash. It also comes with a wide ange adapter lense so you can switch from macro to wide angle while under water. It takes great pictures! Right now its at $300, auction ends in 2 days.
It's important to make sure you get a external flash for what ever setup you go with, which might be a challenge at that price level. The external flash will make a world of difference in your pictures.

Joe

Look into the new Sealife DC1200 its a great camera does ok video but not 720P. If you want a high def camera check out the sea&sea DX1200HD. I think just the camera systems are about thats price

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom