Looking for a Belize hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am planning our first trip to Dive in Belize and am having a hard time picking a hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to dive every day and at least once to the Blue Hole. I am looking at staying at Ambergris Kay or Turneffe. I'm looking for a nice clean place that has good food on property. Not necessarily 5 star but at least high 3 star. I'd also want internet, TV (I was shocked some of the places say no TV in the room) and a good bar. After my husband and I dive we just like to chill out at the bar and relax and eat. We don't need nightlife (just a good bar), we are usually in bed early to dive the next day. Please help!

I am planning our first trip to Dive in Belize and am having a hard time picking a hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to dive every day and at least once to the Blue Hole. I am looking at staying at Ambergris Kay or Turneffe. I'm looking for a nice clean place that has good food on property. Not necessarily 5 star but at least high 3 star. I'd also want internet, TV (I was shocked some of the places say no TV in the room) and a good bar. After my husband and I dive we just like to chill out at the bar and relax and eat. We don't need nightlife (just a good bar), we are usually in bed early to dive the next day. Please help!

We were on Ambergris last month and stayed at White Sands Cove. It's a nice place, though it is about a mile or two from the main town, which is also a fun little place. They do have golf cart rentals (or you can do it though whatever company you want) that makes getting to town easy though. We didn't do any diving while we were then (only snorkeled), but they do have there own shop on site which seemed very good.

As for the blue hole, we asked and found out it was around $300 or so a person just because it's so far of a boat trip from ambergris. If it was cheaper we might have considered it, but it's overrated anyway from what pretty much everyone says.

Another good place is Banana Beach, a couple of miles south of town. I think they provide all that you need. Or you might like Exotic Caye, still south but nearer town.

The BH day trip, which includes 2 wall dives after the BH itself, costs $245 from AC, including all costs except any equipment you may rent. This is the price charged by all operators. From Caye Caulker it's around $50 less because less fuel is used.

Look at Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours for more detail on hotels.

try

Deborah Neisius
www.RentmeinBelize.com

Condos are more fun than Hotels.

Tell her Jason and Angie sent you. And I think most Dive charters for San Pedro will come to Sunset and pick you up on the Dock behind the condos.

Sunset is a lovely building and setting - I was in it a few months ago. But it's a long way from town and feels quite remote. For you that may be a plus point - for many it's a significant minus.

If you do go to Sunset there is a new dive operator nearby, although most other operators will also pick you up.

Sunset is a lovely building and setting - I was in it a few months ago. But it's a long way from town and feels quite remote. For you that may be a plus point - for many it's a significant minus.

If you do go to Sunset there is a new dive operator nearby, although most other operators will also pick you up.

ahhh yes, that may be a detriment to the Bar part. :)

and yes, we are the "out of towners" that like to stay "out of town" Like Hawaii last year we rented a condo about an hour north of Honolulu and FAR away from Waikiki.

I didn't say that there's no food available at Sunset, or anywhere nearby. Hotels with substantial restaurants on site or nearby include Banana Beach, Banyan Bay, Sunbreeze (near town), or of course anywhere close to town has access to all the town restaurants - really your best bet. The trade-off is more noise and bustle.

There are also some lovely places up north with excellent restaurants, but a long, slow and costly way from town. The first that occurs to me is Portofino, but other noted restaurants that way which I believe have hotels attached include Capricorn & RoHo Lounge. Not sure of my facts for that area - look at the URL I gave. Or go to the "forum" on that site and ask your questions there - it's very active.

What you do not want is Ramon's Village "Resort" They charge a premium but do not deliver it. It looks nice, remote and quiet, but it is quite the opposite. The beach in front is public, [as they all are but this place is so close to town it gets more traffic than most other places] and gets a lot of towns people foot traffic in front of the hotel, which is a security issue and makes it a bit noisey. The rooms are good for one person but is a bit cramped for two. Noise at night from the bar across from the hotel. The dive op there is good. For the money, use a different place, like some of the ones already recommended. You can see my trip report on this place if you do a search.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom