Looking at ice, longing to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elkfriend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks,

Does anyone else think about diving, but your favourite dive spot is still too frozen to go?

I am checking the lake daily, water around the dock and the beach, but lots of ice out there...

Anyways, hopefully a few more weeks and the fun is back!

Tonite I got my diving gear out and did some mainentance and checking, but this makes the anxiety only worse!

Cheers!

Hey Folks,

Does anyone else think about diving, but your favourite dive spot is still too frozen to go?

I am checking the lake daily, water around the dock and the beach, but lots of ice out there...

Anyways, hopefully a few more weeks and the fun is back!

Tonite I got my diving gear out and did some mainentance and checking, but this makes the anxiety only worse!

Cheers!

Sounds like you need a trip to the tropics. Come on down...

... I know.

Luckily we will go to turkey in a few weeks and check out the diving in the aegean mediterrean sea, maybe we'll find some pottery

Cheers!

Or take up Ice diving........

Brrrrrr!!!! :D I'm officially a warm water wuss.

But I actually would like to ice dive, just because I never have and think it would be very cool (pun intended).

But even in the tropics, the weather can prevent diving during the winter months (ocean gets too rough, dive sites blown out).

But at least it is still warm topside :D

Best wishes, and hang in there, you'll be diving again before you know it.

Brrrrrr!!!! :D I'm officially a warm water wuss.

But I actually would like to ice dive, just because I never have and think it would be very cool (pun intended).

But even in the tropics, the weather can prevent diving during the winter months (ocean gets too rough, dive sites blown out).

But at least it is still warm topside :D

Best wishes, and hang in there, you'll be diving again before you know it.

Since the OP is from Canada, ice diving would extend his diving through out the year. I was raised in Fort Lauderdale and spent two years in Hawaii. I never seen snow, except on the big island then moved to the Midwest. I got used to cold water diving just so that I can extend my dive months. It really isnt as bad as it looks.

The pictures I've seen that were taken under the ice in lakes and oceans looked beautiful.

I think if I could just get past the "Oh my gosh, that is COOOOLD!!!" , it would be a GREAT way to extend the dive season and do something unique.... but I'm still in awe of the folks who do it.

Best wishes (and stay warm!)

The pictures I've seen that were taken under the ice in lakes and oceans looked beautiful.

I think if I could just get past the "Oh my gosh, that is COOOOLD!!!" , it would be a GREAT way to extend the dive season and do something unique.... but I'm still in awe of the folks who do it.

Best wishes (and stay warm!)

Oh my gosh, that is COOOOLD!!! is right, even in 56*f waters diving wet. Did that in Texas and California, definitely pushed me into getting a drysuit to train with here in warm Hawaiian waters so I can actually enjoy the diving in other places.

I feel you about your favorite dive site being out, it happens even in the tropics. I've been on pins and needles for the North Shore to open up for a year and half, and even though it's only a few weeks away I swear I'm almost getting the shakes it's so bad.

Hang in there, buddy. Diving will come around soon enough.

Peace,
Greg

...and voila!

Ice is gone and I went out solo today, temperature about 42F + great viz at Lake Chaparal!

I found 4 hockeypucks, 1 US Divers Diving Mask in great condition and 1 Hockey Goal with Net (!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom