Looe Key

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning to visit Big Pine area next week. Any suggestions about diving Looey Key? Dive ops there? I've heard folks say Nov has iffy conditions. Is Key West calmer? Thanks.

Ok, thanks, but what about dive ops?

You basically have looe key dive center, strike zone charters, and the folks at Bahia Honda. I don't know if Underseas inc is still in the game with Maryanne sick, but they share the boats with strike zone anyways.

Looe Key is truley lovely. Dove with Looe Key Dive Center. Tell Anke I said Hi. Sea conditions there will be similar to Key West.
Yes November conditions in the Keys can be unpredictability sporty...like today & at least the next 2 while last week was flat calm.
But there are plenty of other activities to keep you entertained.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was in Big Pine last weekend. I went with Looe Key Dive Center out to Looe Key sanctuary. It was a good trip! Would definitely go again. The crew was very laid back and personable, but still professional. You also get a free drink at the tiki bar! :D

Looe Key is consistently THE FIRST dive site in the Keys that caves in,
and THE LAST dive site in the Keys to come back.
Even if Looe Key caves in,
You are only a short drive from Key Weird or Marathon.
And.....
there are several ops in the Big Pine/Lower Keys area that will take you elsewhere if it turns ugly there at Looe Key.
Looe Key is best dived in the morning as a rule.

Chug
Made several attempts prior to getting to Looe Key.

I've been in the Keys twice (both times at Thanksgiving) and both times Looe was closed out. I've heard great things, but this time of year...defninitely have a back up plan.
Have a wonderful trip!

One of my most memorable dives was @ Looe Key NYE on Y2K.It was flat calm,the Gulf Stream had pushed in warm and clear water.We could see the fireworks and their reflections on the ocean from KW,Marathon and Little Palm Island.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom