Looe Key Reef Health: healthier than Key Largo Reefs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MannyDib2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from diving shallow reefs in Key Largo. Enjoyed the dives but the reefs seemed pretty beat up. All the Elkhorn and Lettuce Leaf coral I saw was dead. Sadly its not what it was 20 years ago.
Are the reefs in Looe Key any healthier?

Out of curiosity, which dives sites did you do?

My dive buddy did Looe Key last year with his son and said the diving was terrible. According to him everything looked dead or dying, visibility was terrible and there was no marine life, save a few fish. He now says “no” to any diving in the Keys. Again, this is third party so take it for what it’s worth.

My dive buddy did Looe Key last year with his son and said the diving was terrible. According to him everything looked dead or dying, visibility was terrible and there was no marine life, save a few fish. I now says “no” to any diving in the Keys. Again, this is third party so take it for what it’s worth.
Ya, I was just reading some articles saying Looe Key was hit hard as well. Heart breaking. Not just for the reef but everyone who's livelihood depends on the tourist money it brings.

I was actually doing coral planting dives with I.Care down in Islamorada. Great experience. Highly recommend.

They do them in Key Largo too

So this begs the question: is anywhere in the Caribbean not trashed?

The basic site here, huff post, is not one I put a lot of faith in because they tend to be slanted & I've seen them flip flop on issues in the past, but this piece about keys reefs has some information that seems noteworthy -

Just a bit further south in Islamorada (Tavernier) they dive sites like Victory and Crocker, Hens & Chickens etc. Better than Key Largo by a mile. I always dive with Conch Republic Divers. Sure they come up to the Key Largo sites too but not always.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom