longtail boat rate/price

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I am here in Khanom (Nakhon Si Thammerat province).
Went to the next beach asked for SCUBA...not really, after I told I have everything tank and compressor included his English improved from bad to excellent.
He don't know where to go exactly because they do snorkeling mostly and how deep I need (intelligent question) and he have to speak with the captain (OK I speak with a broker). Price depends on how far and how long. I guess diesel is expensive and these 2 stroke diesels might be hungry.
Anyone know some estimate prices? Like going 3 hours (engine time), total time with 2 dives 6 hours= xxxx Baht.

So I have a reference, don't want to pay the "this Farang is rich price" but also don't want to fight for the price if it is already a good deal.
If such an engine eats 5 liter per hour it is 450 Baht for 3 hours only diesel. If it takes 20 liter it is 1800 only for the fuel....= I have no idea.

In that area I would presume max 1,500 Baht for a 2-tank trip. If the sites are not closeby I would not consider a longtail.

Standard schedule here: get on the boat, after 10-15 minutes first dive, short (15 minute) break, second dive, and back again. All in all about a 3 hour trip.

Thanks.

No idea how far away potential dive spots are, but I think it is more than 15 min to the islands. As well I would prefer to have a longer brake than 15 min. Prefer 1 hour. But considering that everything there is very shallow the 15 min are good enough.
Or maybe make 1 very long dive instead of 2?
Thanks the 1500 are something that gives me an idea. (you mean including tanks, or? I have the tanks myself)

In general we don't take longer breaks than 15 minutes on longtail diving because it is uncomfortable. No space to move, and any movement will rock the boat, limited seating, limited shade (if any).
No, not including tanks.

yeah shade.....I forgot I in Thailand.....1 hour in the full sun and you are barbecued......
Well cut go to the island and brake there for lunch.....but also an effort.
My thought was that it is good practice to have a 45-60 min brake between 2 dives to gas out. But well this area it won't be two 40 meter dives, more likely 5-15 meter deep.
1500 Baht for 3 hours sound a bit expensive, but not unreasonable.

yeah shade.....I forgot I in Thailand.....1 hour in the full sun and you are barbecued......
Well cut go to the island and brake there for lunch.....but also an effort.
My thought was that it is good practice to have a 45-60 min brake between 2 dives to gas out. But well this area it won't be two 40 meter dives, more likely 5-15 meter deep.
1500 Baht for 3 hours sound a bit expensive, but not unreasonable.
Yes, you'll have to select your divesites carefully.

I am here in Khanom (Nakhon Si Thammerat province).
Went to the next beach asked for SCUBA...not really, after I told I have everything tank and compressor included his English improved from bad to excellent.
He don't know where to go exactly because they do snorkeling mostly and how deep I need (intelligent question) and he have to speak with the captain (OK I speak with a broker). Price depends on how far and how long. I guess diesel is expensive and these 2 stroke diesels might be hungry.
Anyone know some estimate prices? Like going 3 hours (engine time), total time with 2 dives 6 hours= xxxx Baht.

So I have a reference, don't want to pay the "this Farang is rich price" but also don't want to fight for the price if it is already a good deal.
If such an engine eats 5 liter per hour it is 450 Baht for 3 hours only diesel. If it takes 20 liter it is 1800 only for the fuel....= I have no idea.
I thought there were rules in Thailand on dives being lead by a certified guide?

The only rule is that a foreign guide (so e.g. divemaster) can not get a workpermit here.

With what is happening with one of our members in Malta, a lot of British divers are reading the small print and trying to understand the legal implications of independent diving in other countries; i.e. diving without a guide.

Yes, you'll have to select your divesites carefully.
yes problem I have to discover the dive sites first and depend on the captains where they think it is good

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2015 at 07:22 PM ----------

I thought there were rules in Thailand on dives being lead by a certified guide?

Welcome to Thailand! If I want to dive somewhere I dive there......
If I jump in the water here on the beach no one will stop me :D
And I did that many times.

In some areas there are lots of fishermen diving with compressor on the boat and hose in their mouth.....can't see and certification for that.

Back
Top Bottom