Longhose bungeed bolt snap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Anyone know what is the best way to create a bungeed bolt snap for the longhose that goes over the mouthpiece? I dove with one earlier this week and I like the idea, but I can't seem to make one that stays out of the way like the one I used.

mate how do you even manipulate a small bolt snap doing drills

There's a double ender with a ring welded to one end that slips
over the reg inlet, and the rest I can't remember some bungee
perhaps you can find the one you used and take a good look

you know phones cameras and stuff

The best bolt snap mounting options I've found were stolen from Brent Hemphill and someone else. I use one from Brett that has been modified to my Jetstreams and looks like this.
View attachment 426570
and when pulled over
View attachment 426571
When pulled over a normal second stage, it looks like this
View attachment 426572
I only use those bolt snaps when I'm stowing a regulator to a stage tank or when I'm at the surface and gearing up. When in the water, I use a loop of bungee similar to that used to retain the inflator in backmount and slip the showerhead into that to allow rapid donation. It works very well on the Jetstream but not so much on anything else. @victorzamora gives me relentless sh!t about some of the weird things that I do to make my regulators work for me, but such is life.

What I would recommend for others though is to do this. It's a simple piece of bungee on a double ender, but you can clip the double ender to your d-ring and easily remove a "normal" second stage from it and have it completely free.
View attachment 426573

stealing this from my 2 year younger self. Still relevant, still use them. Two different options there, though I use the Hemphill method more than the double ender. The pictures didn't show back up, so they're below. I suspect the one that the OP experienced was the first one. In that case, when you grab it, the bungee pops off of the mouthpiece and slides down the hose. You unclip it afterwards. It's less useful for OOA scenarios and more useful for keeping the second stage closer to the body. The bottom one leaves the double ender and the loop on your D-ring, and the second stage is now free. That one is better for OOA, but less secure overall. Pros and cons, pick your poison

13737583_10157200384355134_472133256581307476_o-jpg.426570.jpg

13692905_10157200384615134_625994932958250164_o-jpg.426571.jpg

13724999_10157200384345134_1550437072870170141_o-jpg.426572.jpg

13708211_10157200384320134_8862324670449542541_o-jpg.426573.jpg

mate how do you even manipulate a small bolt snap doing drills

Basically the design deals with that issue, you have one attempt to unclip it, if it doesn't work you pull it off the bungee to hand to the OOA diver.

stealing this from my 2 year younger self. Still relevant, still use them. Two different options there, though I use the Hemphill method more than the double ender. The pictures didn't show back up, so they're below. I suspect the one that the OP experienced was the first one. In that case, when you grab it, the bungee pops off of the mouthpiece and slides down the hose. You unclip it afterwards. It's less useful for OOA scenarios and more useful for keeping the second stage closer to the body. The bottom one leaves the double ender and the loop on your D-ring, and the second stage is now free. That one is better for OOA, but less secure overall. Pros and cons, pick your poison

View attachment 542536
View attachment 542537

That isn't exactly what I used, but it is the same idea so it would probably work. Though not for my rental set for this weekend with an instructor, but after I get my Deep Sixs.

@Manatee Diver why not make one for your rental set? One of the nice things is they are largely universal and easy to move around to different regulators.

Out of curiosity, what was the difference in that vs. what you used? Are you talking about just a loop that goes over the mouthpiece like a normal octo holder? For those, just tie a really small version of Brett's loop and snap it over the mouthpiece.

@Manatee Diver why not make one for your rental set? One of the nice things is they are largely universal and easy to move around to different regulators.

I might have to play around with it, as it looks like it would be specific to the reg.

Out of curiosity, what was the difference in that vs. what you used? Are you talking about just a loop that goes over the mouthpiece like a normal octo holder? For those, just tie a really small version of Brett's loop and snap it over the mouthpiece.

Pretty much, it looked like a standard octo holder but with a bolt snap. I made a simple loop but it ended up being a bit too big when I stuck the reg in my mouth.

Going to have to work on it more, I guess.

It is not a bungee, but I've been trying the razor, clothes pin like, pop off connector. The newer one has a ridge in it that slots into the joint between reg and hose to prevent it sliding down the hose. I did learn you likely want to tie the bolt snap onto the connector, as they separated on mine after break away. The connector does float.

Break Away Connector
razor_break_away_connector_2.png

Back
Top Bottom