Long weekends, Mooring Days, and Doing It Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjones9527

Contributor
Reaction score
Well with the late winter this year the Kingston dive boats were behind in getting in the water. This also meant that the mooring buoys had not been raised. Who better to get the job done quickly and efficiently than a team of DIR divers from the Great Lakes Underwater Explorers. The team gathered at Northern Tech Diver on Saturday morning and began the ritual mixing, filling and analyzing of tanks. I teamed up with Oren for our first task, which would be to accompany a charter out to the Wolfe Islander. Here we would have to untangle the bow mooring line which was up, but wrapped around the mast. We would also raise the stern line and attach the POW buoy sponsored by ontariodiving.com.

Dive 1

A plan was quickly made and we were in the water. As we descended the bow line, we could see just how tangled it was. This was going to be no easy task. We started our work on the line, which was slow and tedious. As we saw the charter divers coming down the line, we decided to go raise the stern mooring, as that would be where everyone was ascending. With just a little trouble getting the lift bag out of its storage pack, we had the stern line heading to the surface, and us back to the bow to finish our work. With our dive boat Seaducer now moved to the stern, we were able to get enough slack to finish unwrapping the bow line from the mast. Now it was time for some fun of our own. A quick tour around the stern, and a comical few minutes in one of the walkways, and it was time to head up.

BT 31mins
Depth 69ft
Temp 45F

It was now off the the Aloha/Effie May. There were no lines raised on this one, so we would have find her with the GPS and depth sounder. This was done relatively easy, and the shot line was over with us following shortly behind.

Dive 2

We followed the shot line down, and saw that it landed pretty much mid-ships, would would continue to be the norm for the rest of the weekend. We quickly found the bow line, however we were informed prior that it had some damage to it and the stern line should be the priority. We swam along the starboard side toward the stern and located the mooring block and line. Lift bag on and up, we could now enjoy the wreck. A couple of laps and it was up and back on the Seaducer.

BT 31mins
Depth 53ft
Temp 45F

It was now time to head in to drop off the charter divers, refill tanks and get a late lunch before heading back out. The afternoon would have the rest of the team joining us. Craig who is halfway through his DIRF just happened to be at the shop picking up some lights for his friends that afternoon, so what better way to test out his new skills but to take him with us. We had an ambitious afternoon ahead, with plans to put the lines up on the Davie, Marsh and Comet.

Dive 3

We arrived on the Davie and dropped the shot line on the wreck. Another team would be heading in to send up the line, which the rest of us would then use. After a few minutes the lift bag was spotted. We headed over, tied up and splashed in. A quick tour around the wreck, we decided to keep out bottom time a little shorter, to save gas for the other wrecks.

BT 25mins
Depth 87ft
Temp 43F

Dive 4

Now it was off to the Marsh. Again the shot line was sent and the other team splashed in to send up the mooring line. As soon as we were tied off our team was back in the water. We dropped down and did the usual tour, seeing the wheel and bowsprit, as well as the numerous dead eyes. We checked our gas and time and decided to head up. About halfway up while dumping air from my wing, the pull dump came off in my hand. Well that make it easier I thought to my self. I showed my team mates the valve so they were aware of the situation, and we continued our ascent with no troubles.

BT 24mins
Depth 72 ft
Temp 42F

It was now off to the Comet. Looking at my gas, dump valve (which only came unscrewed), and the number of dives we did that day, my team decided to sit it out. It was a bit of a disappointment, but why take chances. We sent the shot line out, and the other team dropped in to send up the line and enjoy her all to themselves. Once they were back on board, we headed back to NTD, where they had a barbecue waiting for us. We sat around talking about the days events, refilled our tanks and started figuring out what was in store for day 2.

Day 2

Sunday morning we met the charter divers from the previous day. They wanted to dive the Marsh and the Comet, two wreck which we had moored the previous day. We decided that while they were on their surface interval, we could hit two other wreck in the graveyard and raise the moorings. We headed to the Marsh, moored up, and helped them into the water. While they were down it was the perfect time to start gearing ourselves up. Once they were back on board it was off to the Cornwall.

Dive 5

We arrived on site, and after a bit of searching, we saw the big mass on the depth sounder. The shot line was over and we crawled into our tanks. Once we got on the wreck, we got orientated and went off in search of the line. We sent up the line, did a quick tour of the wreck, and started our ascent. Once back on board, we didn't even get a chance to gear down. The charter divers decided they would like to do the Glendora, which was only a couple minutes away.

BT 25min
Depth 70ft
42F

Dive 6

We zipped over, found it, and sent over the shot line. Dropping down we quickly located the line and sent it up. With lots of gas left, and this being one of my favorite wrecks, we were in for a long enjoyable dive. We went in and did a couple laps of the inside of the wreck. Coming out we saw the charter divers were in the water as well. We did a nice slow lap of the outside, and coming back to the mooring line, we saw that we would be doing our ascent at the same time as the charter group. This would lead to comical moment number two. Once we were all back on board, it was back in to NTD.

BT 41mins
Depth 71ft
Temp 42F

Off the boat, tanks filled, a quick bite to eat, and back on the boat. This afternoon I would be joined by my wife, who made the trip down in the morning. We would be heading out to the Queen Mary, which is a wreck I had never done before.

Dive 7

Again using the GPS and depth sounder to locate the wreck, a team dropped in to send up the mooring line. My wife and I would drop in next, however at 40ft she would have trouble breathing from her reg and called the dive. Back on the surface she got back on the boat. Being in a wetsuit, that was enough for her. I waited on the surface for another team to drop in and joined them. We knew the weather was getting bad, so we toured the wreck and made our ascent. It was now off to the Munson.

BT 27mins
Depth 66ft
Temp 42F

Dive 8

The Munson is always enjoyable. Again the wreck was found using GPS, depth sounder and shot line. One the mooring line was raised it was into the water and onto the wreck. Swimming in and around the wreck, it was an enjoyable end to a busy day. Once back on the boat it was home to NTD for another barbecue.

BT 29mins
Depth 106ft
Temp 42F

Once off the boat we geared down, and started the routine of getting ready for the next day. We had an ambitious plan of heading out to the Frontenac, Douglas, Sheboygan, and Katie Eccles. Knowing that it was a long shot, be had a back up plan of breaking out the scooters and having some fun in the local quarry.

Day 3

Arriving at NTD, there was a calm breeze blowing. The weather was chilly, and there were small waves on the lake. Our trip wasn't looking good. Conferring with the team, it was decided that we wouldn't have enough time to do the wrecks. We broke out the scooter and headed off to Brule Rd quarry.

Dive 9

This would be a fun dive just messing around with the scooters. It was Orens first time on one, and you could see the excitement. After gearing up and getting in the water we were off. After a few minutes we made some adjustments to the tow cords and went back at it. There are a few cars and boats in the quarry, as well as some rock walls and lots of junk. We enjoyed the warmer water temp, and just driving around and seeing what we could find there. Soon it was time to get back to NTD and get ready to head to Rockport.

BT 43mins
Depth 26ft
Temp 57F

Back at NTD we bid farewell to Oren who was heading back to Guelph, while the rest of us went east to Rockport. This would be a great end to an amazing weekend. We were doing a memorial dive on the Kinghorn, for Doug Smeaton, who died there in February. We were joined by his family, and it was really an amazing dive.

BT 25mins
Depth 80ft
Temp 48F

After that is was time to get on the road and start the 3hr drive home. What an amazing weekend and great collection of dives. It will be hard to top it. Thanks to all my team mates, NTD, Harold and Seaducer, Wayne Green.

Charter fees: $0
Accommodations: $90
Breathing Gas: $100 +
Diving with like minded highly skilled divers: Priceless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom