Long Weekend Getaway – Pulau Redang (May 20th to May 23rd)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Long Weekend Getaway – Pulau Redang (May 20th to May 23rd) – My 4th trip

Getting there :
We assembled at the car park opposite Cantonment Police Station at 7.30pm for the overnight coach transfer. The coach was delayed by half an hour & we departed at 8pm. The journey took about 10 & 1/2 hours with 2 stops in between (1st stop for 45 minutes at Yong Peng for late dinner & another toilet break for 15 minutes). Note: It gets terribly cold in the coach so do bring along a blanket/sarong to keep warm. We arrived at Merang jetty at 6.30am. There are few roadside stalls open for breakfast & I had a cup of comfort drink, teh tarik to perk myself up. The Redang Kalong’s representative met us, 30 minutes later & then we proceed to take the ferry, which took us, about 35-40 minutes to the island.
Note: Add another 2 hours for return journey due to traffic jam & custom clearing.

Redang Kalong Resort ( http://www.redangkalong.com/)
Accommodation: We stayed in quad-sharing room with en-suite bathroom (hot shower) & comfort of air-conditioning, which is available 24 hours. Bath towels & blankets are provided.
FACILITY dive shop, snorkeling, fishing, beach volleyball, kayaking, board games and a mini karaoke. The resort shop sells a range of T-shirt, films, batteries, toiletries, souvenirs, etc.

Staff: AB Lee & Sharon run the resort & dive center. Both are avid photographers & emphasized on caring for the environment. Tim (AB’s brother) is our DM for the trip & he is witty guy with a good sense of humor. The staffs are very welcoming, accommodating & hardworking (the resort, esp. the dining area is kept spick & span). I forgot to bring my contact lens holder & Sharon kindly find one from her room & pass it to me…Thanks Sharon!!

Food & Beverages: Buffet style meals comprising a mixture of Asian & Western. BBQ dinner was served on the last night. Free flow of cold(water, orange juice) & hot(nescape, tea) beverages & biscuits/bread with spread (kaya, peanut butter & jam). Tea break at 4.30pm with hot desserts & snacks. Verdict: Ample & Appetizing.

Diving/ Sea Condition
The resort has its very own 5-Star PADI Dive Center. The center is managed by The Diver's Den. I did a total of 7 dives: Pulau Kerengga, Terumbu Kili, Batu Che Isa (Nite), Tanjong Tok Kong, Batu Cina Terjun, South Point & Pulau Ling.

The Diver’s Den is very well organized & safety is their No. 1 priority. Each diver was assigned a colored box to store your equipments for the entire trip. A large whiteboard lists DM & guests assigned to each boat (12 divers in my group- not overly crowded) & the dives scheduled for your boat that day. Detailed dive briefing was given before each dive with site map drawn by the DM. All dive sites are about 5-15 minutes from the resort & the dives were all pretty easy with back-roll from the dive boat. The sea condition was calm & perfect for diving. The water temperature for this trip average at 29°C, but I have encountered thermo clines for my last trip in May 2004 & the water temperature was around 27°C. Recommended: 3mm full wet suit for those who are less tolerant to cold. Visibility varied from site to site, ranging from 8-25m.

Redang is an underwater photographers dream come true. Marine critters of all shapes, sizes & colors make their home amidst rocks, sea fans & coral tables. We saw schools of trevallies & barracudas, bump-head parrotfish, nudibranchs, anemone & hinge-beak shrimps, moray eels, crabs, gobies, blennies, lionfishes, scorpion fishes, & many other colorful marine fishes. . Tupe/vase anemone sponges with anemone/clown fishes are in abundance. The magnificent school of silver pomfrets at South Point mesmerized me so much that I do not want to end the dive…SIMPLY AWESOME. :biggrin2:

Here is the link to my pix gallery....enjoy..
http://sg.homeunix.com/jovin/Pulau-Redang-May05

happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Totally agree...love the school of silver pomfrets at South Point, even the black tip cruising around us couldn't lure me away from them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom