Long time listener, first time caller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CurlyJ

Likely Mimic Octopus
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After many years reading threads on ScubaBoard, I have finally made an account. :lurk:

In the fall of 2021, my wife and I will be celebrating 20 years of being certified together. Starting down the tech track is part of that celebration.

I very much enjoy photography while diving and learned to shoot underwater beyond point & shoot before I learned to do so on land.

I may still primarily lurk, but I wanted to take a moment to thank all the knowledgeable, thoughtful contributors to this community.

Welcome to Scuba Board. You dive out of South Carolina? Your neighbor NC to the north gets the attention for the offshore deep wreck diving with sand tiger sharks, but IIRC, there's diving out of South Carolina, too.

there's diving out of South Carolina, too.
There are definitely some decent sites offshore here, but as I told my LDS: "I appreciate the distance from the Gulf Stream far more during hurricane season than when diving"

Welcome to the Board. You show great restraint in not joining and replying to certain oft discussed topics.
I have dived out of Myrtle Beach a couple of times. What is the shore/boat dive situation around Charleston? Do many of us "snowbirds" frequent that area renting condos?

What is the shore/boat dive situation around Charleston?
I am, unfortunately, unqualified to answer that well. I haven't gone out of here in a while. I keep intending to try going out of Myrtle Beach to check it out, but have yet to do so.

My understanding is that the two main offshore operators I know about (Carolina Dive Locker and Charleston Scuba) do run charters typically in the warmer months, but it takes all day to get two tanks in due to how far out they have to go (about 1.5-2 hr trip each way).
If you're into artifacts / sharks teeth, diving the Cooper River can be a lot of fun, but since I prefer visibility and photos I haven't done that often.

For a handful of reasons, I've more frequently driven to either Morehead City, NC or Jupiter/W. Palm Beach, FL and done a couple days in a row.

One of my favorite dives off of here is made of retired NYC subway cars. I believe I have a slide of my buddy standing inside it somewhere in my cabinet, if 35mm film hints at how long ago that was.

The needle I'm trying to thread here is "it's nice enough, but it's not for me and I personally wouldn't consider it a *destination* dive spot"

I am, unfortunately, unqualified to answer that well. I haven't gone out of here in a while. I keep intending to try going out of Myrtle Beach to check it out, but have yet to do so.

My understanding is that the two main offshore operators I know about (Carolina Dive Locker and Charleston Scuba) do run charters typically in the warmer months, but it takes all day to get two tanks in due to how far out they have to go (about 1.5-2 hr trip each way).
If you're into artifacts / sharks teeth, diving the Cooper River can be a lot of fun, but since I prefer visibility and photos I haven't done that often.

For a handful of reasons, I've more frequently driven to either Morehead City, NC or Jupiter/W. Palm Beach, FL and done a couple days in a row.

One of my favorite dives off of here is made of retired NYC subway cars. I believe I have a slide of my buddy standing inside it somewhere in my cabinet, if 35mm film hints at how long ago that was.

The needle I'm trying to thread here is "it's nice enough, but it's not for me and I personally wouldn't consider it a *destination* dive spot"
Thanks for all the info. Will file it away in case the border ever opens up again. Maybe we'll look into condo rentals there at some point.

After many years reading threads on ScubaBoard, I have finally made an account. :lurk:

In the fall of 2021, my wife and I will be celebrating 20 years of being certified together. Starting down the tech track is part of that celebration.

I very much enjoy photography while diving and learned to shoot underwater beyond point & shoot before I learned to do so on land.

I may still primarily lurk, but I wanted to take a moment to thank all the knowledgeable, thoughtful contributors to this community.
Welcome!
Love Charleston, but not for diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom