Long term storage of vintage regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have rebuilt four seconds and two firsts, Conshelf XIVs. I have been actively diving my "main" set. That is really only two OW dives but a fair amount of pool time. I have cycled them enough to keep a constant IP, etc. It has been fun.

I have a couple of other regs that I have picked up. I also recently ordered rebuild kits for each of them.

My question is about storing the as yet unused regs and rebuild kits. My thought was to clean everything up as best I could with the vinegar and ultrasonic cleaner. Rinse and dry them well and store them disassembled with their rebuild kit. Then at a later time when they need to be brought into service I can assemble them and be ready to go.

Community thoughts? Should I store them rebuilt, or store them cleaned and ready to be rebuilt?

Personally, I would store assembled (even if not torqued), just so that essential parts are not lost.

If I was not going to re-build immediately, I would not disassemble, for similar reasons.

Some additions about conservations.
You can also use Lemon Acid instead vinegar. (But please, not from real lemons :) ) It is not so smelly, but with hot water also clean very well.

To protect rubber parts you can use silicone oil aka Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS).
Intimate lubricant could have some aroma and other components, and better not to use it. Just clean silicone oil. It is the same as Safeseal by McNet.
Also very good conservating agent is talc. Before you have to clean all parts with neutral (not aromatized) soap and dry. Then powdering strongly it by talc, or just put parts in to talc.

Not sure if any of the service kits were purchased from VDH or not but if so the O-rings have a 15 year shelf life guarantee from the manufacturer. Just leave them in their original plastic bags out of the sunlight indoors and you will be fine for the next decade at least. Note....I sell only US or German manufactured O-rings made from new material. Some manufacturers use recycled material in O-rings and seals which tend to have varying quality and degrade more quickly.

Not sure if any of the service kits were purchased from VDH or not but if so the O-rings have a 15 year shelf life guarantee from the manufacturer. Just leave them in their original plastic bags out of the sunlight indoors and you will be fine for the next decade at least. Note....I sell only US or German manufactured O-rings made from new material. Some manufacturers use recycled material in O-rings and seals which tend to have varying quality and degrade more quickly.
Rock on. Yes, there may have been a largish order, at least for me, of rebuild kits made late last week. Looks to be delivered today! This fits in well with my thoughts of shelving the units disassembled. As always, thank you.

edit: assembled changed to disassembled

Last edited:
Personally, I would store assembled (even if not torqued), just so that essential parts are not lost.

If I was not going to re-build immediately, I would not disassemble, for similar reasons.

What are your thoughts about the verdigris? Does it do any more harm by being on the metal/chrome long term? Benefits or no to getting it off of the parts now?

I could vacu-seal the parts to keep them together. At least the smaller parts.

Note....I sell only US or German manufactured O-rings made from new material.

and washed in the tears of kittens for the ultimate in purity! :)

What are your thoughts about the verdigris? Does it do any more harm by being on the metal/chrome long term? Benefits or no to getting it off of the parts now?

I could vacu-seal the parts to keep them together. At least the smaller parts.

Verdigris actually forms a protective coating which prevents further oxidisation. You see it on brass/copper public outdoor sculptures and copper roofing.

The white crud that builds on yoke screws and threads where there's been salt water deposits is a problem. I would clean all threads and lube with silicone grease before storage.

If you are really looking to preserve the reg cosmetically and functionally over years of storage, probably the best way is to leave it unassembled with the parts protected. I just use a plastic container and make sure the rubber/silicone parts are out of any light and not getting squished or mis-shaped. For small parts with a sharp edge (pistons, orifices) sometimes I'll put a bit tape around them to protect the edge.

I've had a perfect condition 109 stored like this for several years, but I think I'm going to put it together this month and start using it, or maybe sell it. It's kind of nutty to keep such a nice reg in a yogurt container.

Back
Top Bottom