Long Shot On Replacement C-Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattGoose

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, so I've gotten to the end of everything that I can think of trying to get a replacement dive card.

I was certified as a Junior Open Water diver in June, 1993. I did my training dives at the Wayside Racquet Club in Marlborough, MA in winter/spring of 1993. I have a high certainty that the training course was run through East Coast Divers, then located in Worcester, MA.

I have spoken at length to NAUI, PADI, and SDI trying to find any record of either my certification (or my dad's, who was certified at the same time). None of them have any record of either of us.

I spoke to DAN and they have record of my dad joining in February, 1994 (right before we went on our first dive).

I'm looking for any ideas that anyone might have on how else to find some record of it. It appears that all copies of logbooks, dive cards, etc. were lost in one of the many, many moves that myself and my parents have taken since then.

I was last diving in around 2000 and would like to start diving again. I would love to find the instructor who taught the class, but I realize that that is a very long shot....

Any ideas that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Matt

Hi Matt, is part of the problem you don't know what agency you were certified with? Also where are you planning on diving now? The reason I ask is that some dive destinations will require you to take either a refresher or take the certification course over again depending upon the last time you dove and where you plan on diving.

Hi Matt, is part of the problem you don't know what agency you were certified with? Also when was the last time you were diving and where are you planning on diving now? The reason I ask is that some dive destinations will require you to take either a refresher or take the certification course over again depending upon the last time you dove and where you plan on diving.

Hi - I was fairly certain that we used NAUI.

I do know that it was a very long course - I think 12 weeks in class.

Wayside Racquet said that they had only ever worked with East Coast Divers, and ECD is listed as a dive center with NAUI, PADI, and SDI.

I last dove in 2000 or so, and would at a minimum be planning on taking a refresher course, if not a full certification to the next level. I'm headed to Naples, FL in March and was thinking about trying to dive then.

I've been trying to figure this one out for years...

Did you check also with SSI? SSI, PADI, NAUI, SDI are the big four in the US as far as I can tell.

Oops. Written before your message.

Hi Matt, if it was NAUI, they should have a record. I was able to get replacement cards for certs with them in the 80's. I do remember it took a while to get through to someone at NAUI who knew how/where to access old records. If not NAUI, is it possible it was a YMCA cert?

Did you receive an original card? Not a temporary?

Regardless of whether you find your card or not, you really ought to take the course over again. A lot of things (equipment, standard procedures, safety recommendations) have changed since 2000, not to mention 1993.

Wayside Racquet said that they had only ever worked with East Coast Divers, and ECD is listed as a dive center with NAUI, PADI, and SDI.

I did not notice but did you contact East Coast Divers and ask or ask about the instructors back then? They may have an idea although I would bet the instuctors have changed by now...

Worst case I guess is you can do OW in 3 days down in FL. But you would be paying for the full course... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom