Long hose slipping out of the webbing while diving / Dive light task loading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 7ft hose serves one purpose; it allows for single file air sharing in restrictions. If you are not diving in restrictions, there is no reason to use a 7 ft hose.
I've shared air twice during a low air situation and once with an OOA buddy. The seven foot hose is really nice because it allows two divers to swim side by side without having to hold onto each other's BC. It's especially nice during a swim back to the exit point or ascent to the surface.

I tuck my seven foot hose under a sheath on my right side where I keep my shears. The hose never comes loose.

...doing it correctly from the beginning...

This notion right there is highly questionable and greatly debateable.

-Z

I've shared air twice during a low air situation and once with an OOA buddy. The seven foot hose is really nice because it allows two divers to swim side by side without having to hold onto each other's BC. It's especially nice during a swim back to the exit point or ascent to the surface.

You can do the same with a 5 ft hose, I've done it many times. It's only single file air sharing that requires 7ft.

I don't dive with a canister light, but do use a BP/W and 7' hose. I tucked for a bit (and had the problem with it coming out of the belt), and then bought the Halcyon hose keeper mentioned above. Works great and haven't had an issue since. Whatever you use, make sure you practice stowing and releasing for OOA/sharing situations.

Does this just take getting used to, or is there a way to reduce the task loading with the light?

This, along with many of the problems you face now and will continue to face in the future (when adding stages, scooter, etc.) are all easily managed. However, it takes precision from all the little things that you are not familiar with (exactly how to temporarily hold the primary light in your right hand, body position and timing for dumping gas efficiently, etc.). These are all things that become second nature with proper practice. However, building incorrect muscle memory from the start will make you struggle greatly moving forward when trying to increase capacity and task loading, similar to how you are having difficulty adjusting from your old method of managing your primary light on the lanyard.

It is difficult to master all of these minor details without accurate and consistent input from an instructor and repetitive practice until it is engrained in your muscle memory. A course such as GUE fundamentals is all about doing the very simple things with ultra precision, making managing the more complex tasks in the future so much easier.

If you are not using a canister torch with the battery on your right hip to tuck the hose under, a piece of plastic will do. Apeks and Halcyon both such a bit of kit to do the job, as already suggested, but a piece of plastic pipe with a slot cut in it will do the job just as well.

I've had and still have the issue of having my long hose slip out of my waist webbing. Due to the type of diving that I mostly do (vacation diving, drift diving, diving in currents), I've decided to switch my long hose out for a 40" hose with a swivel and run it under my arms. I would still place the safe second on a necklace around my neck. I have also figured that my bcd webbing was one contributor to the hose slipping. The webbing would come loose during a dive and this would happen often. Having your long hose blowing around your head in all different directions during a strong current dive sucks. That bcd has got to go too.

I do sometimes need to dive "in uniform" with a long hose but those are mainly training dives.

Reactions: Kha
...So I've changed out to a 7 foot hose .
I've been diving it for a while now, and although I generally like the extra length it gives me, and comfort,but it annoys the hell out of me that it always slips away from under my webbing, making it very sloppy. making it necessary for me to restow it endlessly during a dive or everytime I move significantly...

It sounds like you might not be using the canister to keep the hose in place?

The way that I was taught to keep my 7 foot hose in place without a can light was to pull the hose as far back under the waist belt you can, past/behind your right hip. Then pull the loop downward and it will miraculously stay put.

I carry my shears on my right hip, which makes for a good tucking spot.

It's convenient that it's an item that I'm carrying anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom