Long hose single tank rec setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought a reg package in which the 7-ft primary hose was apparently made of the super-flexible rubber referred to in previous posts. I hated it and switched it out for a hose of traditional flexibility. Part of the beauty of the long-hose configuration is how the hose lays nicely against the body when stowed and yet deploys smoothly and controllably. When I tried deploying that super-flexible hose it didn't want to behave. It would be an exaggeration to say it was like deploying a wet noodle--I would save that characterization for Miflex hoses--but it seemed hard to control.

I used to use a 5’ hose wrapped around, but I also used a MK 20 and had the hose coming off the very end of the first stage with it pointed down and to the right. I also rode the tank lower than usual so with a combination of all this a 5’ was barely enough. I’m 6’4” too.
Now I use an octo length 40” routed under my arm on a 70 degree swivel for the primary and a 22” bungeed backup. Seems to work pretty good for recreational single tank diving. The donee would have to be right up in front of you though.

One question that I always wonder about is that why isn’t the primary donate long hose/reg used in yellow color as a standard? Is the yellow octopus only a fancy color for recreational diving?

One question that I always wonder about is that why isn’t the primary donate long hose/reg used in yellow color as a standard? Is the yellow octopus only a fancy color for recreational diving?

In practice, in a real emergency, yellow means nothing. A panicked OOA diver will go for the reg in your mouth regardless of color. A non-panicked diver will signal and await your donation regardless of color. So what is the point of the yellow???

My primary (on a long hose) and alternate (on a necklace) are not yellow nor are the hoses.

Just because I could, I have one rig set up with a yellow 7' long primary hose....

I did set up the wife's and daughter's long primary on a yellow hose too. Bungied octo is black....

1644958665774.png

Just because I could, I have one rig set up with a yellow 7' long primary hose....

I did set up the wife's and daughter's long primary on a yellow hose too. Bungied octo is black....
Mine is the Deep 6 orange.

Ok so I have a choice for my new reg set…

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom