Long hose set up.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain CaveMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone tryed this with the long hose set up.
i like having it raped around my body but i seen this set up before and wanted to see if anyone has done this.
i think some strech tubbing would work

b29-06a.jpg

http://www.omsdive.com/images/b29-06a.jpg

How do you restuff it after it has been deployed?
How do you do pre-dive s-drill to comfirm that the hose is free in the event of an emergency?
What do you do when it catches on something behind you? (It's an enganglement hazzard just waiting to happen)
How do you know if it's come out of the bungee and just floating around?

What potential pros are there to stuffing over wrapped?
What cons are there to having it wrapped?

Having anything *behind* you and out of your field of view is just asking for trouble.

Soggy:

DIVE BUDDY

How do you do pre-dive s-drill to comfirm that the hose is free in the event of an emergency?
?

What do you do when it catches on something behind you? (It's an enganglement hazzard just waiting to happen)

PACK RIGHT AND IT WONT

How do you know if it's come out of the bungee and just floating around?

PACK RIGHT AND IT WONT

NOT GETTING COUGHT ON YOUR 1ST STAGE. (IT HAPPENS)

***** CAN HAPPEN

Having anything *behind* you and out of your field of view is just asking for trouble.

TRUE

Captain CaveMan:
Soggy:

DIVE BUDDY

Don't think that this is something you should be able to do yourself? Does it make sense that you *require* your buddy to handle your gear? Additionally, do you really want to spend the time at the beginning of every dive waiting for your buddy to restuff the hose, and hoping he 'got it right' and it can be still be freely deployed? With a wrap, you can quickly do the drill and rewrap it before your buddy even knows you've done it (I'm obviously not suggesting you should keep your buddy in the dark). Try that with stuffing.

Not doing an s-drill at the beginning of every dive is a cluster waiting to happen....

PACK RIGHT AND IT WONT

And how do you know if you've packed it right? I know I've wrapped it correctly and haven't inadvertently caught things on a hose by doing multiple s-drills...on the surface during donning, and at the beginning of each dive. You don't know that you've packed it right and you have to depend on your buddy to tell you if you've goofed up.

NOT GETTING COUGHT ON YOUR 1ST STAGE. (IT HAPPENS)

WRAP IT RIGHT AND IT WONT...

Seriously, I've never heard of such a thing. How the heck is the long hose going to get caught on your first stage? How do you wrap your long hose? How do you deploy it? Do you practice this skill?

***** CAN HAPPEN

Yeah, but a lot more "*****" can happen with it tucked behind you. Specifically, what are the cons of wrapping a long hose?

The wrap is more streamlined, more manageable, readily able to be deployed, can be practice deployed at the beginning of a dive, deployed and restowed in a moment...the list goes on and on.

With a stuff, you can catch it on stuff behind you, the thing can come undone, it apparently *requires* your buddy to be managing yourgear, and it doesn't actually solve any problems.

Soggy:

Well h*ll Soggy ... that's just about all of my freaking gear !!! :crafty:

If you like it the other way do it. But Soggy just gave you alot of info to think about.

And yes, I dont see how it can get "caught on your 1st stage".

Captain CaveMan:
Has anyone tryed this with the long hose set up.
i like having it raped around my body but i seen this set up before and wanted to see if anyone has done this.
i think some strech tubbing would work

b29-06a.jpg

http://www.omsdive.com/images/b29-06a.jpg

Many do it, many don't. Try it, or not. Try wrapping the hose, or not.
Personally I wrap the hose rather than stuff it but that's not to say
it's the only or best way ... just my way (Frank starts to sing) ... :crafty:

at time when i turn my head to the right it get cought on me 1st stage and i cant turn my head to the left with out fixxing it. no big deal but i happend 2 time so far. if the hose is packed with 3 bungy straps one on top and 2 on the bottom and make them to break apart when pulled on im sure it would work.
its just a thought. also i pratice the s turn with my buddys and i also make sure he knows the long hose set up. and i check his gear and he checks mine before we dive to make sure one of us didnt make a mistake.
like sat with sideband i check his doubles to make sure everythings good to go and its a good thing i did because he had a hose the could of made a tangle up hazord so i fixxed it and he never would of see it. check your buddys gear and have him do the same..
chris

Captain CaveMan:
at time when i turn my head to the right it get cought on me 1st stage and i cant turn my head to the left with out fixxing it.

You definitely don't have the thing routed correctly if this is happening. The hose should tucked in your waist belt or routed under a cannister light with only enough slack that so there is a minimal amount of hose behind your head.

Captain CaveMan:
if the hose is packed with 3 bungy straps one on top and 2 on the bottom and make them to break apart when pulled on im sure it would work.
chris

Not sure I understand. You are saying if the bungy straps used to stuff your hose were designed to break apart when you pulled? How would your buddy restuff your hose after the s-drill (or any time for that matter) if the straps broke when you pull on them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom