Long hose primary now, BP/W later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sam1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of making a two-step transition to the DIR configuration (for recreational diving). First, go with the long (5') primary with my jacket-style BC and get a BP/W later. Is this OK or is one step strongly recommended? Thanks.

My recommendation would be to get the BP/W first. It's a more expensive first step than a long(er) hose would be, but it will help you a lot with your buoyancy and trim, which IMO is a more important thing to concentrate on first. You can still work with an octo-length hose as your "long hose", and then transition to a 5 or 7 foot hose later.

With enormous respect to DIR-Atlanta, I want to disagree. You can balance out most BC setups, using trim pockets or camband weights or tank neck weights. But the "donate the primary" concept is very central to DIR, and it is my belief that it is a safer way to plan air-sharing. It is an inexpensive alteration to put a 5' hose on your primary, and necklace your backup. You can then get used to managing your hoses like that, and work on your trim with the adjustment of weight on your existing BC until you can afford the backplate and wing setup.

I've had my bungied backup save my own bacon a couple of times; I'm a real believer in that setup. You CAN bungie your backup and use an octo length hose on the primary, but it routes under the arm and comes up to your mouth at an awkward angle, and often requires an elbow fitting to allow the reg to sit comfortably in your mouth. If you don't route the hose under your arm, then you have an ugly, large loop of hose which is just asking to get caught in anything you swim near.

TS&M, if you honestly think you can balance out a BC setup as well as a backplate and wing, well, that explains a lot of the background paranoia in a lot of your other posts. DIRAtlanta's advice is much better. If this is just an, I want to be pretend DIR post question, the long hose is fairly useless anyway. If the poster really wants to make the transition to DIR diving, getting used to the basics and perfecting buouancy is the first big step. An untrained team really isn't going to function much better with a longer hose in an OOA anyway.

My order of recommendations would be (1) take Fundamentals, (2) find good teammates to dive with who have the same DIR mindset, and (3) only then start worrying about changing gear.

My order of recommendations would be (1) take Fundamentals, (2) find good teammates to dive with who have the same DIR mindset, and (3) only then start worrying about changing gear.

The only problem with that order of operations is: You can't take GUE-F without the requisite gear.

Hi Sam1- It's good to see the DIR attitude slingers come out. I like the way the DIR kit set up is, I dont like the crap that comes with alot of the practitioners, most however I cherish the way they share their growing skills. I own a Zeagle bc, it is a back wing bc. I also dive with a 7ft and 5 ft long hose config. I have no problems with them. I however have had to get very creative to sling my can light. I really like the way the OOA skill works with this setup. It makes perfect help/aid sense. One thing also since I have met and dove with so many people that dive bp/w I am now going to purchase one soon. Money can be a concern for most of us, if it is, buy the hoses for now, get used to diving with them and get into the plate adventure later. I dont and will never say you should look for a particular style diver to dive soley alone with. I've learned so much about safe diving from all corners. good diving to ya, kevin:popcorn:

How about this?

Long Hose, Back-up hose, HP hose - $55 from
Piranha Dive Manufacturing

AL Backplate $45 from
Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

Wing-
North East Scuba Supply - Diverite Travel $170 (not my first choice, but might get you through for a while) or
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=wings about $300, many to choose from depending on what you dive.

Add a harness and misc hardware for something less than $50 and you're at $450 max.

That's less than lots of jacket BC's. Depending on what you have you might be able to sell it for most of the cost of your new set up.

I would agree with others that the most important thing is the bp/w but after you buy that the costs of the hoses are inconsequential - you might as well do the whole shootin match at the same time.

Hunter

Coldsmoke why wheren't you around before I spent my inheritence.:bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom