Long caye or Islamarisol, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desperoadie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So we're going to spend some 10 days in Belize around Easter; we is my diving wife and our almost 10 year young son.
Since we'd like to see whale sharks, the plan is to stay either at Islamarisol or Long Caye (Glover's Reef). It seems Islamoarisol is more expensive but offers more comfort.
Long Caye seems more rustic.
Has anyone been there? How was the stay, the diving and did you take a trip to spot whale sharks? I it OK to take our son on that trip? I've read that the trip can be long and the water choppy. He is a very good swimmer and not afraid, so that helps.
I'm going to give it a shot at shooting u/w with an Ikelite, bought one for the Canon 20D but am having second thoughts and am thinking about swapping for a 5D.
Anyway, once we get back I'll write a report trip and who knows, maybe even some pics! Thanks.

You should look into Off the Wall Dive Resort on Long Caye at Glover's. I am booking a stay in June there, which I believe is the last window for whale shark dives. It only has 3 reviews on Trip Advisor, but they're all outstanding, and the people I've communicated with thus far have been extremely helpful and pleasant. The island itself looks amazing and supposedly their dive operation is top notch. The accomodations are rustic though (shared composting toilets, outdoor showers, no screens, etc. but very well kept and clean from what I was told). I was looking into Isla Marisol too, but it was just too expensive for me as a single.

Back
Top Bottom