Long Boat Rides Of Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know from reading the many reports here that if one opts to choose the land based dive ops rather than the liveaboards for Palau, there will be long boat rides to and from the dive sites. My question for those who have been on these long rides is in general, are these journeys at least scenic? If they are, since there might be considerable cost savings involved in using the land based dive ops, I might be willing to tolerate these long rides out and back. But I would like to hear from those who have done them.

yes, the rock islands have great scenery, kayaking the islands is great (other than the sunburn). the boat rides arent the worst, just a bit bumpy and a bit tedious if you are doing it for a lot of days. my vote is still with the aggressor.

If they are, since there might be considerable cost savings involved in using the land based dive ops, I might be willing to tolerate these long rides out and back.

I did a trip in May with a week on the rock Island Aggressor and about 12 days with Fish 'n Fins. Traveling alone, the cost of the Aggressor was not much higher than ashore. The cost per dive was higher with Fish 'n Fins, especially with trips to Peleliu factored in. The equation changes if you are sharing a hotel room.

I travel with my non-diving partner so land-based is pretty much my only option. We went to Palau a few years back, I loved the long boat ride. I don't really get seasick though, so that might be a consideration if you are prone to it.

I dove there for 2+ weeks and didn't mind the "long" boat rides in the least. The scenery is so beautiful. I dove With Palau Dive Adventures and they took us places the liveaboards didn't go (as well as the sites they do). Palau is my favorite dive destination.

The boat rides will be scenic. If your goal is getting in as many dives as possible you should be able to do more from a liveaboard that is sitting out there than by day boat, and with less effort. I think long days every day on a day boat are more tiring. Pricewise you have to do the math, since the liveaboard includes all diving and meals they can sometimes be a pretty good deal, especially if you catch a discount.

I did a trip in May with a week on the rock Island Aggressor and about 12 days with Fish 'n Fins. Traveling alone, the cost of the Aggressor was not much higher than ashore. The cost per dive was higher with Fish 'n Fins, especially with trips to Peleliu factored in. The equation changes if you are sharing a hotel room.

I'm not planning on staying at any of the nicer resorts which are quite expensive. I see budget hotels there for under $100 and even Airbnb listings for less. I'm willing to stay at the budget level accommodations so I would think that a land based stay at this level would result in a much lower overall cost compared to the Aggressor -- no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom