Long Beach, CA - Area Diving Info Request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiejeff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be out in the Long beach area in couple of weeks. What options do I have in the area to get an afternoon or more likely evening shore dive in? Would love to make it to Catalina; however, unless I extend my travel plans that probably is not an option. Thanks.

Jeff

OkieJeff,

Lemme know what dates you will be in Socal. I'm about an hour from LB. Hopefully the redtide has diminished or disappeared.

BTW, did my 2nd trip to Los Coronados. What great dive spot. Several different pods of dolphin accompanied us on the ride back. Lots of bow surfers. :14: Unfortunately the Risso's were very shy.

Shark

Hi Jeff,

The June Wrinkles dive is on the 9th if you're around you can join us there it's going to be in Laguna. If not tells us when you're going to be around & we'll try to direct you to some good spots & people.

John

depending on how early you can get out there are great places in Palos Verdes which is right by Long Beach, for a night dive there is Vet's park in Redondo Beach again not too far. So like the other's have said just say hi when you get here and many of us would be glad to help out or even make the dives with you.

Hi Jeff,

I would love to make recommendations, but please share a little more infomation about your diving objectives and experience.

SoCal shore diving is nothing like warm-water diving. I would want to suggest sites that you would enjoy, but there are many variables.

Exposure suit?
SoCal prior experience?
Gear you're bringing? Gear you'll need to rent or borrow?
Surf experience?
Boat vs shore experience?
Cold water experience? (Temps are running 49F - 56F right now, and are not likely to increase consistently until early July.)
How much time to you have to dive, and on which days?

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalM/index.htm offers good information for some local sites.

~~~~~~
Claudette

wow, great questions Claudette. Because I grew up and dive in this ocean all the time I forget that some may not consider 4' surf entry in 7mm with 60 pounds of gear a into 10' viz with surge a regular dive :)

Claudette just spent several days picking me up out of the surf, so she's sensitized to the issues of non-surf-savvy divers . . .

SharkDZ:
OkieJeff,

Lemme know what dates you will be in Socal. I'm about an hour from LB. Hopefully the redtide has diminished or disappeared.

BTW, did my 2nd trip to Los Coronados. What great dive spot. Several different pods of dolphin accompanied us on the ride back. Lots of bow surfers. :14: Unfortunately the Risso's were very shy.

Shark

Glad you enjoyed the Coronados. I would love to do that again one of these days.

Right now I am booked in the area on the 4th through the 8th. When I get back to the office next week I may have to explore options for coming in the weekend before or following. I will try to get a feel for my schedule when I am back in the office next week and PM you back if we can work something out. If I can pull in a weekend, San Diego or Catalina might become options.

JMdiver:
Hi Jeff,

The June Wrinkles dive is on the 9th if you're around you can join us there it's going to be in Laguna.
John

Thanks for the offer. I will keep that date in mind.

Back
Top Bottom