Login Nuisance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I've sent a couple PMs about this which got the suggestion to clear my cookies; that they may have become corrupted. I always clear my computers cookies before visiting a web site; and mine too for that matter; just a bit of time difference.

Anyway, starting a few days ago everytime I attempt to log in a circle of log in-display welcome page-redirect back to log in page develops. Clicking on the link on the welcome page doesn't make a difference.

But, if I will just go to almost any other place on the board and click I find I am, in fact, logged in. It is just that neither the welcome page nor the browser redirect failure link seem to work.

Similar thing for PMs. I get the email notice I have a PM. I click on the link which takes me to the mid-screen sign in. I can sign in there until I'm blue in the face with no escape from the circle. But, if I sign in as I've outlined above and go to the PM via the UserCP it works.

Just a nuisance. But, since it just started it means something has changed somewhere. ?????

This looks like a cookie issue.

However, the only way to reproduce the error is to login as you.

In order to do so, you'll need to send me your password by PM.

That is what puzzles me. I thought it was a cookie issue at first too. But, I cleaned out all cookies before coming to the site. My browser is set to accept all First Party cookies and Prompt for others. I have tried cleaning cookies before attempts and not cleaning. The "remember me" box is checked by default on the Log In and I manually check it on the PM log in.

None of this is any different than it has been for as long as I can remember.

Just an update.

We've swapped a few emails/PMs. The problem seems to be with the Redirect portion of your log in. It accepts the log in and welcomes but does not redirect. The log in actually happens because I can go to the "Forums" drop down header and access SB. When I do it shows I'm logged in. I've tried with two different computers whose only connection is that they both use the same Wi-Fi router to access the internet. Results are the same with both machines.

This is something new in the past couple weeks and happens only with the SB site. The only change that has been made anywhere in our systems is that "ping" has been blocked at the router by the security folks. You say that SB does not ping a site. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

This is just a nuisance but an intriguing one to figure out what changed to cause the problem.

..snip..
I always clear my computers cookies before visiting a web site; and mine too for that matter; just a bit of time difference.
..snip..

Off topic but I'm curious about this remark. I visit lots of web sites that need cookies to work properly and remember my settings. For example I use a personalised clock on timeanddate.com because I do a lot of international voice conferencing and every time our corporate help-desk staff need to do anything on my PC they love to go in and delete my cookies and I suffer for weeks afterwards. I have to re-personalise dozens of sites. So nowadays before I let them work on my PC I give strict instructions that they aren't to erase cookies without consulting me first.

every time our corporate help-desk staff need to do anything on my PC they love to go in and delete my cookies and I suffer for weeks afterwards. I have to re-personalise dozens of sites. So nowadays before I let them work on my PC I give strict instructions that they aren't to erase cookies without consulting me first.
Install this: IE Privacy Keeper

It allows you to keep selected cookies and auto-complete entries and delete everything else quickly

Of course you still have to make them use it...LOL

Their are several problems with cookies. For one, as was surmised by the initial response to my post, they get corrupted. He was right in suspecting cookies right off the bat. Another problem, is infringement on privacy. This is mainly with those whose expiration date is years in the future and Third Party cookies. In short, from a user perspective they are more trouble than they are worth. It takes but a moment to accept them for a session and then discard them after.

The Timekeeper probably isn't a cookie per se. Sounds like a utility program. If you are happy that time keeping is all it does it could be pretty innocous.

Oh yes, at the first opportunity I'll ask the security folks to allow pinging again as a test. If that isn't the problem then El Orans has a software change he is unaware of.

After much testing we are pretty certain, or as certain as can be, that it isn't anything on this end. We've used multiple computers whose only commonality is a Wi-Fi router. We've gone to multiple, lots, of web sites. There is a log in problem with two.

One requires two log ins before redirecting to the Forums. But, that is pretty clearly a cookie issue. They don't do the "Remember Me" on the first log in. Since I clear cookies frequently I have to go once to get a cookie and the second time to use it.

The other, ScubaBoard, never redirects. The You Are Logged In page appears. But, it doesn't redirect. When we click on the If your Browser Doesn't Do It Click Here link it doesn't redirect.

But, if we go to the Header and click on "Forums" we go to the SB Forums and the log in information is correct.

No guess on what your problem is. But, since this is the only web site that shows these symptoms our thought is that something changed somewhere, but not in our computers.

Good Luck!

Added Later: You should know, in case it helps the troubleshooting, that the Log Out function, including the Logged Out page works just fine. And I am, in fact, logged out when it says so.

Last edited:
When I Logged In this time the redirect worked like it used to. That is, it worked correctly. It welcomed me and redirected me to the forums. Whatever you did cured the nuisance.

How do I know it was y'all? Because there has been nothing done to the computer since the last time I logged in. In fact, since I've been out bike riding it hasn't even been turned on.

Do you know what you did to fix the nuisance? Or, was it fortuitous?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom