Local firefighter dies in off-duty diving accident - White, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tragic event. RIP and condolences to the family.

While the news article speculated on it, he was diving alone according to those there that day from the account I received from them today. The article also states that Bartow County dive team found and recovered the victim. That was not the case according to people I spoke with. The county team divers were not certified to sufficient depths is what I was told. A number of people conducted searches for the missing (at the time) diver. Two friends of mine were the ones who found him and another individual (who taught me 2 courses) recovered the body. When found his tanks still had significant pressure in them (he was diving side-mount).

The victim was, in addition to a firefighter, part of the swift water rescue team.

Solo diving is not currently being allowed at the location in the wake of this unfortunate incident.

Bartow County diving accident at Kraken Springs | 11alive.com
WHITE, Ga. — Authorities say the body of a metro Atlanta firefighter was recovered on Saturday after an unknown incident at a popular area diving destination.

Bartow County Fire Chief Dwayne Jamison said that his dive team was called out to assist in the search for the victim after he checked in, but never checked out at Kraken Springs near White, Georgia.

Jamison said his divers were able to recover the victim, who he said was an off-duty Gwinnett County firefighter. He added that the location is popular for both recreational dives and training. He said the victim was on a recreational dive.

Coroner Joel Guyton later identified the victim as Robert Fernandez but said a cause of death hasn't yet been determined and will be the subject of an autopsy.

Authorities haven't said whether Fernandez was diving alone. Information on the park's website suggests that it is allowed but only for divers certified for solo or self-reliant dives who show they have the proper equipment and sign a liability form.

The park has since released a statement saying that an extensive investigation by the sheriff's office and coroner's office will need to be completed to determine exactly what happened.

"We, at Kraken Springs, are devastated by this accident and the subsequent loss of life," the park statement said.

They also asked for prayers for the diver's family and crews who responded

According to the map on my desk, they have a "155ft training platform."

What is the viz typically like at the site? Is this an actual freshwater spring like is common in North FL or is the name of the site misleading? At those depths would it be cold and dark like a freshwater lake or more like a spring in term of temps and viz?

According to the map on my desk, they have a "155ft training platform."

Don't think that exists anymore. They do have a "platform", in the most liberal of terms, on the bottom at 145. After dozens of 157 foot dives there, basically cruising the bottom across the quarry or along the walls, I managed to briefly hit 158 at some point during a recent dive. Never saw it on my computer during the dive, only 157, but when I checked post dive, it had registered 158.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom