Local Divers: How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site?

Local Divers: How long does it take to get your favorite dive site?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How long does it take you to get to your favorite dive site. This is for local divers who drive to go diving. No planes!
If you live in paradise then I suppose it applies too if it would be considered local to you , but I was more interested in the diving not so lucky people might be doing. You know what I mean.

For me it takes about an hour and a half to get to my dive site of choice. Right now I’m involved with doing a massive purple urchin removal operation so that’s all I’ll be doing for at least the next few years.
IMG_1954.jpeg

This is the current place I dive.
If you have any photos or videos of your favorite site throw them in, It will make it fun!

1 hour to the start of fresh water Florida diving around Ocala, 2.5+ hours to stuff I'm not yet trained to do - @Manatee Diver will have great drive times for all the big kid stuff he dives up there around Hillbillyvania, Florida.

3.5 to 5 hours to the Atlantic Coast: ~3.5 gets me across Florida to Jupiter and Palm Beach, 5 hours gets me down to Key Largo

When the river fills up again 20 minutes. The ocean in Mendocino County is most often a hike down steep trails. I am limited to drive up, kit up, right from my truck. Otherwise if my wagon can navigate a not too rough path I can add that time as well to the drive. The picture you show is with incredibly calm conditions. Getting gear into water and slipping into my BC with 1 foot waves is my thing. Snorkeling however I don't mind just toasty warm in drysuit, peering down a black rock fish and crab. They look up at you, ya know!

For me it’s 1 hour 20 mins to Stillwater Cove (the photo). If I go up to mendocino County to Albion and up to the town of mendocino then about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. If I decide to go to Monterey then as fast as 3 hours and up to 5 hours if the traffic on hwy 101 sucks which going through SF it usually does.
If I go straight out to Bodega Bay to dive the jetties I can be there in about 50 minutes, but I wouldn’t consider that a “favorite”.

I dive a murky quarry year round just to keep my gills happy. Can't honestly say it's my favorite, but it's wet and it's free and its 3 minutes away.

Annapolis is fun, NJ is great but far.

There about 15 shore sites in and around St. Margaret's Bay in the Halifax, NS area, all within an hour's drive or less.

Two hours to Santa Rosa, NM, and the Blue Hole. It's not a favorite but it's the ONLY diving around here. Otherwise it is a 14-hour drive to Mexico and the Sea or Cortez. That is a favorite and we drive it but it's not local.

srbh.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom