Lobstering On Cape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Hello everyone, soon I will be joining you as a certyified diver. My question is how is the lobstering on Cape Cod. and where are good spots. I will be diving mainly from shore.and would prefer spots on uppercape. like sandwich, Im in NewBedford Is it possible to catch them from shore. Also I can't find anything about regulations on lobsters. I found an application for a permit, but nothing on if I can use tools ie. tickle sticks ect. I heard someplaces all you can use is your hands

Originally posted by sdexcalibur
Hello everyone, soon I will be joining you as a certyified diver. My question is how is the lobstering on Cape Cod. and where are good spots.

that's like asking where somebody's favorite fishing spot is. :)

they'll either ignore your question, or if they do answer, it's probably a lie. :D

Spectre or Msilvia can probably help with the regulations.

but cape ann has some great lobstering. When you get your licence they will send you info on regulations. You can also check out their websight http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/dmfabstr.htm#lobster_and_crabs
It says nothing about the use of a tickle stick. I have been told conflicting things from dive shops as well, but since it is not specified then I believe it is legal.

I don't know (or won't say) where the good spots are, but if you look for a spot with boulders or rock reef in 20+ feet of water, that's probably a good start. If there are lobster pots in the area, but not right there (maybe because of a navigation hazard), that's a good sign. Also, if it's a secluded local spot that isn't likely to be crawling with bug-picking divers, that probably increases your odds as well.

Wrecks are often good spots too, as is any place with lots of little caves, nooks, crannies, and hidey holes.

It's nonspecific, but once you start looking in the right kinds of places, you're bound to find them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom