Lobster poaching starts early

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Men cited for multiple lobster violations

A father and son visiting the Florida Keys from South Carolina were issued multiple citations on Friday for taking lobster illegally prior to the start of lobster season. The 2018 lobster mini season does not start until 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. Regular seasons does not begin until Aug. 6.

Every year, the Sheriff’s Office typically sees some violators attempting to get an illegal jump start on mini season.

On Friday, Marine Deputy Wilfredo Guerra was on patrol near Toms Harbor Channel Bridge, bayside, at Mile Marker 60.5. Deputy Guerra was patrolling using a personal watercraft donated to the Sheriff’s Office by Riva Motorsports & Marine of the Keys in Key Largo. The business donates the Yamaha WaveRunners each year to be used for law enforcement purposes such as this.

Deputy Guerra saw two males with spears, who appeared to be spearing lobsters. Spearing lobsters is illegal at all times in Monroe County.

He identified the men as Peter Verdi, 52, and son Isaac Verdi, 18, both from South Carolina. Marine Deputy Guerra inspected their dive bags. Both bags revealed a total of eight undersized, illegally wrung and out-of-season lobster. An inspection of their cooler revealed four more speared and undersized mangrove snapper.

Both were issued notices to appear in court for a total of 10 citations, including having no fishing license, no lobster endorsements and no dive flag.

Sheriff Rick Ramsay reminds all visitors and residents that deputies will be out in-force this week enforcing our states wildlife laws.
shorts.jpg
Moreshorts.jpg

It seems as if every year you can count on a death or two from divers who weren't prepared to dive and also several poachers arriving before the mini season. It's too bad we can't combine them and have the poachers become the dead divers.

Out of state, no license, out of season game, undersize lobster and fish, no dive flag

What is the expected fine?
loss of boat and equipment plus hefty fine ? or a gentle slap on the wrist?
Remember well --- Poaches have rights too...????????

I guess the question is WHY would a person poach ?

SDM

Out of state, no license, out of season game, undersize lobster and fish, no dive flag

What is the expected fine?
loss of boat and equipment plus hefty fine ? or a gentle slap on the wrist?
Remember well --- Poaches have rights too...????????

SDM
Misdemeanor (less than 25 lobsters) is $500 and 60 days. Over 25 (they don't call it a felony) is $1000 and a year in the clink. Revocation of license that they didn't have anyway for lifetime, appealable after 10 years.

As to why? Didn't think they would get caught, didn't care that the rest of us follow the rules and think we're all stupid, wanted to get a jump on Mini-season, didn't know that there was a season, didn't care that there was a season, I've heard a million of them.

NorCal abalone is worth big bucks, but I couldn't see a big market in undersized lobster.

I guess they must just be pi** poor hunters.

Bob

Revocation of license that they didn't have anyway for lifetime, appealable after 10 years.

Any bets that it was already revolved in a prior proceeding.

Bob

...What is the expected fine?....

IF they do appear.......second degree misdemeanor and up to $250 fine.
But in many of these types of cases from out of state visitors they 'fail to appear' cause it's an extra trip/costs to come back. This year the judges have been handing out the max fines/penalties. If they fail to appear, the judge 'can' issue a bench warrant which just kinda lays in wait {never expires too} until they get stopped usually for a traffic violation and then have to post bail in their home state for 'failure to appear'. New job background checks do some damage too cause it will pop up and then you are non-hireable cause open warrants. Add in credit applications, residence lease checks, and others don't make it worth it either.

The new laws really have some bite and the LEO's are really on it this year.

Misdemeanor (less than 25 lobsters) is $500 and 60 days. Over 25 (they don't call it a felony) is $1000 and a year in the clink. Revocation of license that they didn't have anyway for lifetime, appealable after 10 years.

As to why? Didn't think they would get caught, didn't care that the rest of us follow the rules and think we're all stupid, wanted to get a jump on Mini-season, didn't know that there was a season, didn't care that there was a season, I've heard a million of them.

IIRC, the definition of "felony" is *more* that one year in jail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom