Lobster/and or spear fishing charters California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey there, I’ll be in Cali for 6-9 months and wanted to experience the diving that you have to offer here. I’ve always lobstered and spearfished in the Florida keys from growing up in Florida, but wanted to get in on the California version of this while I’m here. Are there any charters (or people who do this themselves?!) that anyone can recommend that offer this? Any information to point me in the right direction would be great! Thanks

California has ALOT of MPA's (no-take zones). I'm a central Florida spearo and have dove California a bunch. It is VERY different from our Florida diving. The best way to learn the tips and tricks is to dive with ALOT of other spearos in California all at once. To do that a liveaboard charter is the most productive way. I've done the Peace charter out of Ventura and it is excellent. I've done the Truth Charters too but unsure of their current status. Peace only books thru shops but it is very easy to search and find a trip that suits you. You'll be right next to other spearo's for a couple of days sharing stories and they will go out of there way to help you be better and where to look. You may know how to pull a trigger, but if you don't know where to look you're gonna waste that 2 tank day charter. A liveaboard is the fastest way to come up to speed and learn where to look and how. You'll blow alot of money doing day trips and come back zeros, but just 1 liveaboard trip and you'll know exactly what to look for. I love California diving, it's completely different from our Florida. (California rents drysuits, but not spearguns)

bug hunting is socal only, runs from oct to march. can do shore, but bug charters are more guaranteed . spearboard is a better resource for the spearing.

Where are you going to be living in California?
I’ll be in Palo Alto but don’t mind traveling to wherever for the trips
bug hunting is socal only, runs from oct to march. can do shore, but bug charters are more guaranteed . spearboard is a better resource for the spearing.
Yeah, that’s why I’m looking for a charter. Any recommendations?

diver dans in santa clara generally runs a southern channel islands trip that is a bug charter for 3 or 4 days in the fall

You can also look into joining The Sea Divers dive club based out of Redondo Beach, CA and become a satellite member. They are a hunter/lobster centric group of older divers that have been at it for years.

They run great trips on the Socal charter boats and the prices are good too. I was a member for a while so I could take part in their trips and they are hard core for sure.
Meanwhile, if you’re in Palo Alto, pop down to Monterey while you’re at it and do some boat diving or shore diving there. It will get you used to the slight cooler water we have here. No lobsters but there are fish. Where to spearfish on the Monterey peninsula? I have no idea because I’ve never gone there to spearfish. A lot of it is MPA (marine protected area) and nothing can be taken.
If you want to spearfish with freedom and go after the big lingcod then you have to go up to Northern California north of the GG bridge to Sonoma or Mendocino Counties. That is some very pristine and beautiful area.

the SMCA's are recreational finfish ok, no inverts. pretty much all of carmel north of monastery like carmel river state, butterfly house, and stillwater. also the western portions of pacific grove past lovers pt. biggest halibut i have seen was outer portion of copper roof towards stillwater.

Thanks for all the replies. Besides the peace boat are there any others you all recommend for lobstering or spearing regardless of the location?

Back
Top Bottom