Lobos and BW report 04/19-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zen_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, what can I say. Conditions for diving were not so good, but the weekend was great nevertheless! My wife and I went down this weekend and being a race weekend, we thought it would be mayhem as it usually is. On the contrary, it was pretty dang calm and I only saw ONE motorcycle the whole weekend!:11:

On with the show, we were going to do a morning dive at BW and then head somewhere else like Lover's or Coral St. When we got to BW, it was pretty obvious that the conditions were not good for diving. So, we figured we would head to Pt. Lobos and putz around, see if anyone was there and maybe hike around. We stopped by Monastery and saw Doc's new signs. Very cool, I just wish they were a little bigger. Anyways, the washing machine was going in full force:

monastery_04:19.jpg

We went to Lobos and only one team showed. All other teams had cancelled. Well, my wife and I singed up and jumped in. She was hellbent on getting wet!. The surf was way too big to go outside the cove, and in the cove, I couldn't even see my hand when I reached out. That dive lasted about 10 minutes before we both looked at each other and called the dive. As we were swimming back on the surface, I heard my wife scream. Apparently a mother Harbor seal popped up 2 feet in front of her. My wife said she didn't look very happy, went back underwater and came back up about 5 feet away with her pup(AAAWWEE). Wish I had a pic of it. :( So, after we changed, we went over to China Cove and hiked around the rest of the day. It was cold and windy, but really relaxing.

Sunday morning, we went to BW and it looked much better and did a quick dive. Surge was short and not too bad. Viz was about 10 feet, 49 degrees and we dove for about 57 minutes. I saw a BUNCH of nudis, 1 fish (surfperch or blacksmith, couldn't make it out well enough) and all the other usual stuff you see around there. The Celebrity X was there and I think that's why there weren't many fish. It was awfully close to the Breakwater side. Oh, and I saw 2 crabs fighting like mad! That was very fascinating to watch.

Unfortunately, I don't have an underwater camera. I have a nice film camera that I don't use anymore and an HP digital that I can't stand! I will be getting a new one in the near future though!:D I took a couple of pics on my iPhone here and there, when I remembered to, because I know if I write up a report without any pics, Ben will get really upset with me! :wink: :rofl3:

China_Lobos.jpg

China_Cove.jpg

My wifey!
Sunny_Lobos.jpg

Doh! she caught me being silly again!
sillyme.jpg

Oh, and sorry there are no actual dive gear pics. I'm always too busy trying to get in the water! :wink:

Hey Buck,
Nice report... sorry to have missed you guys... I think Team Kitty was the other team that hit the water at Lobos.... Anyway maybe next time.

Oh also I love your report... the iphone camera isn't that bad is it?

Hey Buck,
Nice report... sorry to have missed you guys... I think Team Kitty was the other team that hit the water at Lobos.... Anyway maybe next time.

Oh also I love your report... the iphone camera isn't that bad is it?

Thanks Ben. Yeah, sorry we missed you as well. Hopefully we'll connect on the next go around. We're talking about going back down in two weeks.

the iphone camera isn't that bad is it?

You know, for a 2 Megapixel phone camera, it really is pretty good. I do have my eyes set on a PowerShot G9 for a P&S though. :D
But I've been pretty happy with the results with the iPhone camera. I just wish I could zoom and sometimes, I would really like a flash. But that's just being picky!

Nice report Zen_Man, and nice to see a photo of your wife, having missed out on meeting her last time we had the M&G. I've yet to do my report, but posted my photos of the BW on Saturday on the other thread, and I can't believe that we missed you all!!! What a pain. :)

We went to Lobos as well after hanging out at the Breakwater and were impressed to see Team Kitty (we believe) were in the water. We were bubble watching for a while, but didn't see any. The seals were adorable though .... Very cute.

Dan and I also checked out Monastery and were impressed to see Doc's signs in full effect. Danno was nice enough to give me pointers on entry and exit points at Monastery, reiterating what I learned at Doc's Q&A a few weeks ago. The water was absolutely gorgeous and blue at Monastery, although the water "wall" effect was in full force and was very good at demonstrating the hazards of Monastery. I will have to resize and post some photos later (I'll edit this post if possible).

Overall, it was really nice to be in Monterey, although the conditions weren't right for diving. My boat experience with Dan, Dave and Mike was a challenge and very rewarding, and I am still promising to do my report later. :D That promise still stands, yesterday was spent spring cleaning, hanging out with the husband and shopping for a camera bag for the new (sweet little) SLR. :D

[On a side note, I too have an iPhone and am actually really pretty impressed by the quality of the camera on it. It takes really great day time photos, although its night/low light photos aren't good as it doesn't have a flash. But for a camera phone, they take quite good pictures.]

... So I guess the 1 guy on the motorcycle probably won it huh?

Too funny. :rofl3:

Let's see how next weekend shapes up

I am dry next weekend, except for maybe Sunday we might be heading down to Monterey to, at least, watch Doc's Monastery bit. I am still going to be hoping for a good weekend of diving May 3rd and 10th though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom