LOB vs. Safari

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there an official or generally recognized difference between a Live On Board dive boat and a (banka) safari boat ... also for multiple days?
If so, what is that differentiator?

I have done both. My experience is that a banka will go from one island to the other and bring divers from one hotel to the other. The banka will be used to bring divers to dive sites. A liveboard has rooms for divers. So you stay on board, days and nights. I hope I am clear.

I have done both. My experience is that a banka will go from one island to the other and bring divers from one hotel to the other. The banka will be used to bring divers to dive sites. A liveboard has rooms for divers. So you stay on board, days and nights. I hope I am clear.

Crystal!
:)
(as in yes, you are clear)
I am aware some, maybe many safaries are that way... I am just not sure all are... hence the question to a larger audience...
But that would be a very clear differentiation if that's how it's seen universally... or in a larger region...

That is what the term has always seemed to mean in the Philippines when I've heard it. I don't think that is necessarily true in other places. I know in the Maldives they use the term safari a lot for "regular" liveaboards, I don't think they do the safari between resorts thing there. It might actually get used there more for lower end boats but not sure.
I think I've also heard the term with regard to some Indonesian trips, but again I think they're all still regular liveaboards.

(I wonder if the safari between resorts style is unique to the Philippines? Perhaps the geography and spacing of things there and other factors just lend themselves more to doing that there than other places.)

(I wonder if the safari between resorts style is unique to the Philippines? Perhaps the geography and spacing of things there and other factors just lend themselves more to doing that there than other places.)
I share that wondering...

Back
Top Bottom