LOB Raja Ampat Indonesia March 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decimal86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
folks

anyone knows a good deal for the above? 2 divers own equipment. thks.

Mermaid I is cruising Raja Ampat in March 2012 for 10N/11D and is likely to be one of the better mid range options to consider. Black Manta or Queen Scuba could also be on option if you are restricted on budget. If you're looking for real quality guides who will show you the very best of Raja Ampat you should consider Paradise Dancer although this is at the high end of the price range. Another option to consider is Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, although it's not a liveaboard the resort is located in the heart of North Raja Ampat so you are surrounded by a number of top sites including Manta Point, Sardines, Mikes Point, day trips to The Passage.

Before you start googling the boat names you see recommended in this thread, you might like to know that Queen Scuba is no longer running trips in Raja Ampat. She has returned to Thailand for the remainder of the Andaman Sea season.

But in regard to the boats that are running trips in Raja Ampat, there are so, so many of them at various price levels--I have over 20 boats in my own listings--that it's impossible to answer succinctly in the forum based on the limited information you have given in your question. A boat that might strike some people as a "good deal" might make others think they got the short end of the stick. What do you consider a good deal? How much time do you have at your disposal? Would you be happy on a large boat with many divers? Would you be happy on a small boat without much space? What 'creature comforts' are indispensable to you? Air conditioning? Private bathrooms? Nitrox?

Give your needs some serious thought and then feel free to post again, or even send a PM, for additional information.

Mermaid I is cruising Raja Ampat in March 2012 for 10N/11D and is likely to be one of the better mid range options to consider. Black Manta or Queen Scuba could also be on option if you are restricted on budget. If you're looking for real quality guides who will show you the very best of Raja Ampat you should consider Paradise Dancer although this is at the high end of the price range. Another option to consider is Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, although it's not a liveaboard the resort is located in the heart of North Raja Ampat so you are surrounded by a number of top sites including Manta Point, Sardines, Mikes Point, day trips to The Passage.

thks man, will give these a try.

There are a couple of wonderful books out that are extremely helpful in finding out "what it's like." Both are by Burt Jones and Maurine Shimlock.
One is called Diving Indonesia's Raja Ampat. It came out only in 2009, but I think it's already out of print. There are a few copies available in Bali, though. I saw one at the airport bookstore a few weeks back.
The other is a new title called Diving Indonesia's Bird's Head Seascape. This book just came out and is available through New World Publications (my copy just arrived!).

These books, while excellent, aren't a lot of help when it comes to selecting a liveaboard, though :wink:

Last edited:
Ive got this in fact - and its inspiring a trip there sometime via the hell that apparently is Sorong!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom