LOB in Egypt dont have enough guides?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulratt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m planning a trip in November with a friend, and I would like to plan for the possibility that he decides not to join me.

I read in another thread that with LOBs in Egypt, dives are self directed, that is you and your dive buddy go on your own. Can you confirm this?

I have 60 dives and an AOW, but have never dived without the whole group following a dive master. I was going to take the largest boat the help with sea sickness and looking at the Northern circuit from Sharm. This would be my first LOB.

There are in most cases 2 guides at the lob. During day dives they are in the water and you can follow them. They don’t go in the water for the night dives.

On liveaboards the guests are divided into groups of 6-8 divers (3-4 dive groups), which are zodiaced from the mothership to the entry point with some time interval in between. Sometimes you jump directly from the dive platform in the back of the big ship (live boat diving). One or two groups will normally have a guide, so you can join one of those if you wish. Inme the majority of Euro divers (which make up the majority of divers in the Red Sea) don't want to be herded around in a group, but rather distance themselves from the other divers with their buddy, as much as possible. Good idea or not really depends on your own preferences, your knowledge and experience. But bubble parties kind of spoils the fun. As new to the area it is inmo a pretty good idea to spend some time with a local guide, below and above. Talk to him/her in between the dives. Get a grip on the lay of the land (and the diving). But don't worry. If you pick one of the established operators and explain that you are new to the waters and wish to be in a guided group--no problem.

I do not know about situation now, however, when I did LOB in Red Sea 2 years ago our dive guides discussed experience of each diver, observed our check out dive. Based on that there were made 3 groups of divers: 1) Divers that are very experienced and they were diving on their own with their buddies. They did not need baby sitting. 2) Experienced divers who needed very limited guiding. The guide just guided them to the place of interest and was expectation that his role will be very limited. 3) Less experienced divers - this group consisted of divers who did not have much experience and were complying with minimum dives requirements. It was expected that these divers will use more air and their diving time will be shorter than more experienced divers. Also, they needed more detailed guidance and dive guide was "keeping an eye" on them.

I was in the third group and was very happy that I had a wonderful dive guide who showed us beauties of corals, he was very attentive. Diving in Red Sea was more challenging comparing to my previous dives in Philippines and Thailand as: a) Red Sea was rough, negative entries were required due to presence of sharks b) There were really strong currents 3) Depth of sea was 50-100 m. Physiologically there is a difference when you dive in blue sea, do not see bottom and know that if something happen wrong you might not be saved. For me that was a big difference comparing to 20-30 m dives in Thailand and Philippines were currents were very mild, sea was flat.

During my LOB I learned a lot, that was really eye opening experience.

Much appreciated. This is more detailed than any scuba website I could find.

It makes a lot of sense to have some self directed when there’s 20 and more divers. In my past dives, even in places that are good enough for people to return to and get to know them like Sipadan and Komodo, I didn’t see it but on reflection probably just didn’t notice.

don't forget the option of a private diveguide if you want one. I imagine you are getting a pretty good deal nowadays as lots of the boat's diveguides are sitting on the bench until the trips get back to pre pandemic numbers.

On liveaboards the guests are divided into groups of 6-8 divers (3-4 dive groups), which are zodiaced from the mothership to the entry point with some time interval in between. Sometimes you jump directly from the dive platform in the back of the big ship (live boat diving). One or two groups will normally have a guide, so you can join one of those if you wish. Inme the majority of Euro divers (which make up the majority of divers in the Red Sea) don't want to be herded around in a group, but rather distance themselves from the other divers with their buddy, as much as possible. Good idea or not really depends on your own preferences, your knowledge and experience. But bubble parties kind of spoils the fun. As new to the area it is inmo a pretty good idea to spend some time with a local guide, below and above. Talk to him/her in between the dives. Get a grip on the lay of the land (and the diving). But don't worry. If you pick one of the established operators and explain that you are new to the waters and wish to be in a guided group--no problem.

This has been my experience as well, on Red Sea liveaboards and day boats, too.

Read the answers of Christian and Efka76... and you'll know all about it.

If you need to be guided, you'll be guided. If you don't need and are able to do it, you'll be alone.

I’m planning a trip in November with a friend, and I would like to plan for the possibility that he decides not to join me.

I read in another thread that with LOBs in Egypt, dives are self directed, that is you and your dive buddy go on your own. Can you confirm this?

I have 60 dives and an AOW, but have never dived without the whole group following a dive master. I was going to take the largest boat the help with sea sickness and looking at the Northern circuit from Sharm. This would be my first LOB.

I'm guessing you are referring to my thread. There's 2 maybe 3 DMs for 20-26 divers. People are grouped and you can decide to remain with the guided group.
I'll be there in 2 weeks, I'll let you know how the experience was if you want to reach out mid October (I'm also a first timer w/ LOB)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom