LK's PATTAYA BASH THREAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also enjoyed the diving in Pattaya, me and 3 friends decided to rent a boat with captain, and organised our own trips, great time had by all thanks. Shame about the viz but you cant have it all.

Sure don't invite me along. See if I stand in for you again.

John

Sure don't invite me along. See if I stand in for you again.

John

You would be more than welcome to dive with us, we are quite a friendly bunch really.
Many times we have discussed the possibility of starting a dive club in the area for expats that live in and around Pattaya. There are lots of us around the area and I am sure a well run dive club would be well supported.

Can you be posting to yourself? i think John will then have his pick between BKK Divers and 'Pattaya Divers'. Being in Chonburi it can be convenient. We are thinking of a dive outing to Pattaya in August. Perhaps we can all meet up? A nice group photo. It would be interesting to put a face to the many on the board.

On a diving note, I too heard the vis was current were rough this weekend in Sameasan.

Can you be posting to yourself? i think John will then have his pick between BKK Divers and Pattaya divers. Being in Chonburi it can be convenient. We are thinking of a dive outing to Pattaya in August. Perhaps we can all meet up? A nice group photo. It would be interesting to put a face to the many on the board.

On a diving note, I too heard the vis was current were rough this weekend in Sameasan.

Poor viz and strong currents for a while now, its just the time of year, weather really bad last 2 days, probably why everyone is on here!
However just go and ask fatty Joe at Dive Eouth East Asia, he's still citing 30m viz in Pattaya bay. I always thought the old beer chang mist impaired your vision. :rofl:
but on a more serious note, keep in touch, if I am in pattaya in August, would be great to do a dive or 2.

Hopefully your alter ego will be there as well (i.e John). Keep an eye on the BKK Divers forum for details later in the summer. All things aside you are quite welcome to join. We have an interesting group so far.

So we don't need an LK Tao Bashing thread? Interesting? And based on your previous bash about Soi 6 being the "new" location for one of your favorite dive operators, why look in that area?

Hopefully your alter ego will be there as well (i.e John). Keep an eye on the BKK Divers forum for details later in the summer. All things aside you are quite welcome to join. We have an interesting group so far.

So we don't need an LK Tao Bashing thread? Interesting? And based on your previous bash about Soi 6 being the "new" location for one of your favorite dive operators, why look in that area?

Dive South East Asia's new shop is actually on beach road at the bottom of Soi 6, and you cant miss ignorant fat old Joe like a blot on the landscape when you drive along beach road.
I will look again at BKK divers, it always was my intention to come along when I am in the city one time. Always like to meet with good divers.

You would be more than welcome to dive with us, we are quite a friendly bunch really.
Many times we have discussed the possibility of starting a dive club in the area for expats that live in and around Pattaya. There are lots of us around the area and I am sure a well run dive club would be well supported.

Not sure about joining a dive club but I am more than willing to go diving if the price is not a rip off.
I am here this time until June 24th so let me know if your going out and want to have me along. I am staying in Chonburi but Pattaya is a quick 45-60 drive. I am can consider any day of the week if I do not already have confirmed plans.

John

Not sure about joining a dive club but I am more than willing to go diving if the price is not a rip off.
I am here this time until June 24th so let me know if your going out and want to have me along. I am staying in Chonburi but Pattaya is a quick 45-60 drive. I am can consider any day of the week if I do not already have confirmed plans.

John

What??? Rip off prices in Pattaya, I have never heard the like before, why on earth would you think that?
All we do is rent a boat suitable for the numbers involved, everyone brings there own equipment, food and drink, and we just go out and have a relaxing fun day.
I can assure you no rip offs, all we do is split the expenses, we all take our turn to organise things when we go, and no one is there to make money, usually ends up costing between 500-1000 baht per person depending on boat size and distance travelled and number of people going.
As we all know, the diving around Pattaya is less than spectacular, but we have had a few great days out on the ocassions we have organised our own trips.

For those prices how do you get 3 tanks each and still cover the boat fees? Do you lug your own tanks as well? Do you have O2 on board? Is the captain reliable and what kind of surface protection do you have? I'll pay a bit more for not having to lug tanks around and going with a skipper I know and dive with on a regular basis. Having good food I don't have to worry about cooking is also a good thing. Knowing your cost beforehand is also very useful. Your arrangement sounds cheap but a bit fishy IMO. Now I see what is bugging you so much and your reluctance to go more mainstream. If it works for you great but let the diver beware.

Your still welcome to join the BKK Dive outing but it won't be 500-1000 baht. Sorry...

Last edited:
For those prices how do you get 3 tanks each and still cover the boat fees? Do you lug your own tanks as well? Do you have O2 on board? Is the captain reliable and what kind of surface protection do you have? I'll pay a bit more for not having to lug tanks around and going with a skipper I know and dive with on a regular basis. Having good food I don't have to worry about cooking is also a good thing. Knowing your cost beforehand is also very useful. Your arrangement sounds cheap but a bit fishy IMO. Now I see what is bugging you so much and your reluctance to go more mainstream. If it works for you great but let the diver beware.

Your still welcome to join the BKK Dive outing but it won't be 500-1000 baht. Sorry...

I dont have a reluctance to go 'mainstream', as you call it, and it's not done to save money, this is entirely the result of the poor service we have become so fed up with around Pattaya, it is the only way we can get the diving we want, its just a small group of friends that want to go diving. we dont actively look for others to join us, but if someone wants to come, then fine. Join in and enjoy?
Yes we all have our own equipment, including cylinders and weights now. The price does not include for anything other than the boat ride, and like I said before nobody makes anything out of the deal we just want to go diving.
Its not a regular occurence, just a day out with friends every now and again.
The skipper we usually use is excellent, speaks good english and has some knowledge of diving his self, so him and his boat boy are sufficient for surface cover. Usually 4 or more of us go, if necessary, just stagger the diving, so all of us are not in the water at the same time.
If we feel the need, depending what dives we are doing, we can borrow o2 equipment, but must admit we dont take this every time, we are infact looking at making a joint purchase in the near future.
Should larger groups want to do a similar thing, Larger boats are available in Pattaya that can comfortably take 20+ divers are available for around 4000bt per day to the near islands, and many for a small extra charge can provide food, there are so many options available.
Also at Samae san we can hire a boat for 1500bt to do a 2 dive trip, however this is a small boat and not really suitable for more than 4 divers.

Back
Top Bottom