living up to nickname

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year my wife and I made our first trip to the Bahamas. We went to Grand Bahama and dove with Sunn Odyessy Divers, Nick and Karen Rolle are owner operators, great folks! I highly recommend diving with them.
On one of our dives, we dropped down and I began my usual combination of poking around the coral looking for small critters and keeping one keen eye looking for sharks, I love sharks! thus the nickname.
Well, no sharks that day but very quickly 2 remoras show up. I've never seen one up close before, they are very beautiful, gray, black and white stripped and sleek with large rippled suckers on the top of their heads. These 2 guys, or gals, were about 18" long and showed no sign of fear of us bubble blowing aliens.
At first they just came up to me and swam along side of me. I reached out and pet one of them, gently stroking it's side a couple of times. Then after a couple more minutes of observing them I started to look for other stuff.
About a minute later my wife gets my attention and points below me, I look down and these 2 remoras are swimming under me just like I was a shark! too cool!! they continued to stay just under my chest the rest of the dive not peeling off until I was almost to the surface.
Well, all good things must come to an end, right? We surfaced and headed to the second dive site of the day. After our surface interval time we hit the water again. Not 30 seconds after I had dropped to the bottom, my 2 friends show up again and took their place under the "mothership" once more!! Unbeliveable, they must have followed the boat for some reason as I'm sure it was the same 2 fish from the last dive. They stayed with me the entire 50 min. dive, occationally one would bumb my thigh as if it was trying to attach it's self to me.
We saw our first bottle nosed dolphin, from a distance, 2 good sized reef sharks, several rays and of course lots of beautiful fish that week, but the experience with the remoras was one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me in my 24 years as a diver. That was worth making the trip alone.
Special thanks again to Nick and Karen, thier son and daughter, Patrick and Erin and our DM Davido!! Hope to make it back soon.

an impressive experience sharky :) thanx for sharing

That is too cool.

Did anyone manage to get a pic? I'd love to see it.

that is suych a cool story! that wouldve been an awseome experience

no, of course this is the one time i don't rent a camera and my wife and i were the only people on the dive besides the crew. I would love to have had a pic myself.
pennypue:
That is too cool.

Did anyone manage to get a pic? I'd love to see it.

Very cool! I love it when animals choose to interact with us.

Joe

Neat story. One of my friends has had to bop them on the head with his light during a dive once as it was trying to attach itself to him. It's a hilarious story :)

I've had a little 6" remora attach to me for about 30 minutes while surface swimming. Interestingly enough, I've also had a pilot fish "lead" me while surface swimming as well. Cool story Sharky, glad you had a great experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom