Living and Diving Tasmania!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soudan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Currently (Tasmania Australia), Previously (Alexan
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Every one,

I am going to moving to Tasmania (Launceston) to study Architecture, and i wanted to know a bit about Tasmania!

So here are a few questions for y'all:

1- How is the Diving in Tasmania?
2- How hard is it to get a job as a Divemaster or a Scuba instructor in the summer?
3- Accomidations, what would be best for a student that's my age (23 yo)?

Thanks guys.

-Soudan

1. diving in tassie is GOOD!
we did a tassie trip last year to EagelHawke (Hobart) and was blown away and im told that
the east coast is fab too.
We did take drysuits though but i hear the locals wear 5mm or 7mm but i wouldnt be that
brave

2. dm jobs in australia are basically slave labour - you dont get paid, maybe free airfills and boat dives. dont know about instructor jobs so best to contact a few dive shops to suss them out

3. Tassie is a small place - you can drive from Launceston to Hobart in about 2hrs. try Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au to suss out rental ideas

our trip to tassie was to dive via hobart so i dont have any expereince from Launceston.

sounds very exciting for you so i hope you enjoy - tassie is a nice part of the world, cold!, but nice

1. diving in tassie is GOOD!
we did a tassie trip last year to EagelHawke (Hobart) and was blown away and im told that
the east coast is fab too.
We did take drysuits though but i hear the locals wear 5mm or 7mm but i wouldnt be that
brave

2. dm jobs in australia are basically slave labour - you dont get paid, maybe free airfills and boat dives. dont know about instructor jobs so best to contact a few dive shops to suss them out

3. Tassie is a small place - you can drive from Launceston to Hobart in about 2hrs. try Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au to suss out rental ideas

our trip to tassie was to dive via hobart so i dont have any expereince from Launceston.

sounds very exciting for you so i hope you enjoy - tassie is a nice part of the world, cold!, but nice

I thought Tasmania was a great place to do all the things i love to do, and every time i hear about it, it just seems to get better :)

I might just find a regular job and since DM-ing is a slave job i could do it on the weekends just to get free dives :D

I lived in Alexandria, Egypt and Houston Texas in the USA, and they are both HOT almost have the same weather!! so i think i am ready for some cold :)

Thanks a lot almitywife for the info :wink:

I've wondered what it would be like to dive the giant kelp forests (Macrocystis) there. Please tell us when you get a chance.

we did it last year and one of the things the dive guide said to us was do it now before its gone :(

hubbys website, if you click galleries and scroll down to Tasmania you will see some pics, Almity Web Page - Picture Viewing Page

lots of caves, lots of clear water - my first ever expereince with "gin clear", lots of huge abalone (need a license to get them), lots of cute fish and lots of fun

PA050040.JPG

PA070096.JPG

PA070024.JPG

gorgeous.............. I cant wait, I hate dry-suits though!! i might try the 5 or 7mm and if i wimpout I'll have to learn how to dive with dry-suits!!

hi soudan. ive been in tassie for 3 years now and love the diving down here. you dont need a dry suit. i use a cressi semi dry all year round and its fine although its still a bit strange in winter when you surface and your looking at snow on the mountin lol. when you arrive feel free to get in touch and i will be happy to take you on a few dives or point you in the right direction. im down in hobart and dont know much about Launceston but i can put you on to people who do.

hi soudan. ive been in tassie for 3 years now and love the diving down here. you dont need a dry suit. i use a cressi semi dry all year round and its fine although its still a bit strange in winter when you surface and your looking at snow on the mountin lol. when you arrive feel free to get in touch and i will be happy to take you on a few dives or point you in the right direction. im down in hobart and dont know much about Launceston but i can put you on to people who do.

Thanks.. i might just take you up on your offer once i get there.
I like the idea of never wearing a dry suit :)
and i also love the idea of snow! i I've seen snow only a couple of times but mostly when traveling, and only ONCE in Houston Texas (snow hadn't fallen there for over 30 years!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom