Liveaboards in Cairns - Differences in Itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alliet

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newbie and will be taking my Open Waters next month. Coincidentally, I have been planning for my honeymoon in March next year and was planning to go to Oz. Thus, after some thought, I thought to visit Cairns for diving as well as honeymooning.

However, I am pretty confused over a few liveaboards offers. Will appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me.

1) While I am keen on choosing Spirit of Freedom, when I check on the itinerary, it seems that they do not visit visit Cod Hole in the Osprey Reef schedule. SOF's other itinerary is the Ribbon Reefs & Cod Hole excursion.

Taka, on the other hand, offers dives at all 3 sites.

- Am I wrong about this?
- Are there any other liveaboards that offers visits to all 3 sites based on a 5D trip?

2) I have read some recommendations that booking for the liveaboards at Cairns is much more affordable.

- Is March a popular / good month to dive at GBR?
- Any experience in facing "full bookings" during this period? (Am not sure if March is the peak / lull period)

Thanks so much for all feedback!

Contact Pro-Dive, or Quicksilver. We took the "Diversity" out of Port Douglas and went to Osprey and Cod Hole then on to Ribbons. The farther north you go the coral and marine life were more pristine and in great shape. You will only get a four night trip with "Diversity".

Caymaniac

caymaniac:
Contact Pro-Dive, or Quicksilver. We took the "Diversity" out of Port Douglas and went to Osprey and Cod Hole then on to Ribbons. The farther north you go the coral and marine life were more pristine and in great shape. You will only get a four night trip with "Diversity".

Caymaniac

Hi Caymaniac,

Thanks for the information. I will check out Diversity. How were the facilities, crew, food & DM? Will the DM go with us for our dives?

In addition, is March a good time for diving in Cairns 'cos I do understand that it is the wet season. Did you pre book or book there?

Thanks!

The facilities were great, the boat is only a couple years old, a 70ft. cat. 30ft. wide, this helps with stability. The Coral Sea can get quite rough, I don't know how the seas are in Mar., it is fall of course, the water should be really warm. In June and July the water temp was in the 80s at Osprey and as you travel south it cooled off, 77F on the Ribbons at Agincourt area. The food was excellent, the chef "Susie" kept us well fed.
The dive masters will dive with you on the dives, sometimes two of them. They wanted us to dive with the group the first days and then as they saw your abilities you could do your own thing. We always stayed close to the group because there wasn't another boat to be seen, and you are 1 to 200 miles off shore, except when we were near Lizard Island, Also the first night we saw Spirit of Freedom at Osprey. One nice thing about the Diversity was that it was fast, cruising at 18 knots whereas the other boats are allot slower about half the speed. This ability insured us getting to the reef faster and if you have rough water it would possibly help.
We prebooked, because it was along ways to go and we wanted the itinerary that you want, We didnt want to risk getting there and not having a spot. If you have the time, it is allot cheaper to book when you get there by sometimes 50%.
My hard drive crashed on my computer, so when I get the info off I would be able to send you some pics of the trip if you want a preview....give me a week or two to figure out how to get the hard drive back up, it wont even boot up in safe mode.

All the best,
Caymanic

caymaniac:

Caymaniac

I went on Pro-Dive's 3 day/2 night liveaboard-out of Cairns, and loved it. There are a few double "rooms" suitable for couples, and the crew goes out of their way to make the trip great. We had a crew consisting of Russell, the captain, Shane, the in charge, and three others who helped to make it a memorable time. It was only about $560 Australian dollars, I think, a bargain in U.S. dollars. When out on Milnn Reef, we were next to a CDC boat, holding some 60 divers--a real cattle car if you ask me. There was also a film of marine diesel fuel spreading out from their boat, not exactly eco-friendly in my mind. Glad I didn't choose them! As an alternative to tipping, the Pro Dive boat had a sale onboard, and the proceeds were divided amongst the crew. I can't recommend Pro Dive enough. I'm sure others are good, but I like to stick with a good thing when I find it. They also have longer outtings, with trips to Cod Hole and elsewhere. Give 'em a try. Everything is provided, down to torches and computers.

Caymanic,

Thanks for the information! From what you said Diversity seems quite good and I am glad to hear that the DMs do dive with us because I understand that for some of the other MVs, it may not be the case.

Yup, I read from some postings that going there physically to book could potentially be even 50% cheaper. Am thinking about it though, dunno if I wanna take the risk.

How were the dives there? What did you see?

Jeddah,
Thanks for the information. Where did you go to on Pro Dive and when did you dive? Any idea if March is the peak / lull season?

We were there when the Minke whales were in so we stopped to snorkel with them for over an hour also on Steves Bommie when returning toi the boat a whale swam under me.At Osprey we saw a shark feed, Gray whalers, white tip, silver tip and blacktip. Large Groupers also at Osprey, even bigger than Cod hole but not as approachable.
Flashlight fish, Giant Clams, many species of fish and coral all in great shape. Schools of Trevally at Ribbons. Hunting White tips, feather stars and crinoids in a rainbow of colors.

All the best
Caymaniac

Back
Top Bottom