Liveaboard vs drive-and-dive Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, all -

My husband and I are thinking of ditching our original plans to dive Malta in 2007 and doing instead either the Nautilus Explorer (BC trip) or renting a car and driving around Vancouver Island for 8-10 days. If we drove ourselves, we'd be able to hit east and west coast sites, but we'd be more at the mercy of individual area conditions and we'd have to haul our gear from place to place. Liveaboard looks like east coast only, but it's one price for almost everything, and we wouldn't have to move our gear once we're there.

Can anyone weigh in on our decision? We dive dry in the Boston area nearly year-round, but we'd prefer to dive Vancouver extensively when the topside weather is nice (July/Aug) and sacrifice some of the underwater vis.

thanks!

Since nobody has bit, I'll weigh my uninformed opinion. Note that I've never dove a liveaboard, and have actually only been on a single dive charter in BC.

vetdiver:
doing instead either the Nautilus Explorer (BC trip) or renting a car and driving around Vancouver Island for 8-10 days. If we drove ourselves, we'd be able to hit east and west coast sites, but we'd be more at the mercy of individual area conditions and we'd have to haul our gear from place to place. Liveaboard looks like east coast only, but it's one price for almost everything, and we wouldn't have to move our gear once we're there.

Can anyone weigh in on our decision? We dive dry in the Boston area nearly year-round, but we'd prefer to dive Vancouver extensively when the topside weather is nice (July/Aug) and sacrifice some of the underwater vis.

I'd just do a liveaboard and get as much diving in as you can.

If you drive, you could check on Bamfield on the west coast. That's about the only major spot on that side of the island, AFAIK. I'd rather be diving than driving all around to different spots -- assuming the point of the vacation is diving. I believe the North of the island is the best, and I'd bet a charter would get you around to the best spots.

Don't forget that Vancouver Island is 500kms from top to tip. I guess that isn't that far, and only a half day drive. But, the road out to Bamfield is a rough, gravel road -- and there is a 25% chance you'll pop a tire on the trip.

- ChillyWaters

We'd be doing charters. We went ahead and booked the Explorer because it just seemed easier than lugging wet drysuits around on a multiday trip, but I am interested in taking a few days and getting over to the pinnacles on the west coast of the island either before/after - I haven't heard anything good or bad about Rendezvous - have you used them?

Also, is there any diving (charters or shore) from Vancouver (city)?

thanks.

I've been on a Rendevous trip, but it was a long time ago. It has changed owners since I was there. Good diving in Barkley Sound. Good Diving up near Port Hardy, where it looks like you will be diving. I think that there is a day charter that goes out of Uclulet into Barlkey Sound. Uclulet is about 5-6 hour drive out of Vancouver. I'm not sure about day charters out of Vancouver. I think there are a couple of day charters out of Pender Harbour on the sunshine coast. Good diving up there also.

Given the choice I would skip diving out of Vancouver and stay on Vancouver Island. The shore diving is not as good, have not tried a charter from Vancouver yet but the ocean is different close to Vancouver, more open less current so less to see. Out on the Island you get much more current, more rocky channels so more nutrients and more to see.

For diving around Port Hardy... there are two "package" operators and a couple of day boat operators as well. Have been up there many times myself. I personally recommend leaving a couple of days before & after the Port Hardy time to do some land exploring, especially Tofino & Long Beach. Everywhere you drive is a scenic road. The drive up & down from Campbell River to Port Hardy is gorgeous. Also be sure to spend a night in Victoria, walk around the Quay, and see the Burchart Gardens. Worth every penny. Good restraunts in Tofino, Campbell River, Nanaimo, and Victoria.

Links to the operators I have used (& are still operating) are below. They have different approaches, one is a land based dive lodge with 2 scheduled dives per day & optional addl. dive(s) from the dock, the other is more like a liveaboard with a mothership moored in a cove and offers 4 dives per day. Both operators have excellent local knowledge of the tides and best dive sites, far better than the Nautilus Explorer I am told, have not done the N.E. myself.

http://www.godspocket.com
http://www.bcspacificdreams.com

Thanks for the info - maybe we'll try to head over to Vancouver Island for a few days rather than hang in the city per your recommendations. Much appreciated.

Donny, will say it again - damn damn damn!! But the husband has strict instructions not to offer any "help". Thanks again.

There are a couple of charter operators around Vancouver, but diving around here is really nothing special. Vancouver Island has some fantastic diving, and so does the Sunshine Coast just north of Vancouver. Porpoise Bay Charters runs dives around Sechelt, and is one of the best operations I've been with anywhere. Catala Charters is a good outfit in Port Hardy.

I've never done a liveaboard on the island, but I have done multiple driving holidays/dive trips there. I'd recommend the driving trip - you'll see just as much (or more), and it costs less. There is a lot of shore diving around Victoria, and to a lesser extent, all along the island. Plus there are dive charters located in almost every town along the island. So it would be quite easy for you to charter a boat to all of the spots a live aboard would go, plus do some shore dives, plus get a chance to check out all of the neat places on the island.

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom