Trip Report Liveaboard Report: Calipso, Galapagos. June 20-27, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edoralive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Me:
  • Solo traveler
  • Divemaster
  • GUE Fundamentals
  • 140 dives, including cold water, low viz and ice dives and current experience.
In General

Happy to recommend the boat to others, which some caveats about safety (below). The logistics were flawless, crew were attentive, the other divers were quite lovely (and from around the world - Singapore, Israel, UK, Japan, Spain, Canada, New Zealand, US), and the trip on the whole was well worth it. As our guide said at our final toast, we may have left the Galapagos, but the Galapagos will never leave our hearts.

Expecting water 70 degrees or lower, I brought my drysuit and two base layers and an extra base top and that’s it. Everyone else was in 7 mil or 5 mil plus a 2 mil vest, or some variation of those things.

The Boat

Calipso was refurbished a few years ago, and is in generally fine shape. The cabins were bigger than others I’ve experienced, and the showers in particular were quite large for a boat. There is a jacuzzi on the top deck that was available when we were anchored and particularly after cold water dives. On Tuesday evening, we had a celebratory dinner on the top deck which included festivities I’ll leave you to discover for yourself. The dives are by panga - we were divided into two groups and dove with those groups the duration of the trip.

Dive pacing was all over the place and depended on conditions, boat schedule and desires of the divers. The first full day we dove once before breakfast, and then got two more in before lunch. Other days we had breakfast and then dove twice before lunch.

We ran nitrox the whole week, and were expected to fill out the nitrox sheet, but in my experience the dive masters expected us to accept an analysis on one cylinder to represent all the cylinders. Often, when I would ask for the analyzer I would be told it had already been analyzed, so I took to not asking and just taking it off the shelf to check. The standing advice was to set our computers to 31% and 1.4 for the duration of the trip. This felt dodgy.

We also had a few mishaps on the trip that had their genesis in recklessness or perhaps inattention. On two different dives, we had a diver run out of air and need to share air with a buddy or the guide to get back to the surface. Equipment failure is one thing; letting your cylinder run to zero without intervention is something else entirely. We also had a number of divers chase marine life into the blue and the intense current.

Most dives were “negative entry” but really what that meant was ‘get down as soon as you can.’ I inevitably had some lingering air in my drysuit or wing and would end up on the surface before figuring it out, and it wasn’t a problem. I also tend to descend slower than anyone, and that also wasn't a problem. The biggest challenge was getting to a rock to crawl along to get back to the group, but even this wasn’t a significant challenge.

Equipment provided to all divers included a sea whistle, a nautilus lifeline and an SMB. My first sea whistle leaked quite a bit, and the second one leaked even more. Eventually they told me to remove the whistle and stay close to my buddy. Okie dokey. I heard comments from other divers that the rental equipment could use a refreshment.

Food was generally good and plentiful. Lots of meat options. For the vegetarians, it was a little more challenging - we saw eggplant on five different meals. Eggs were made to order at breakfast, and lunch and dinner included some sort of dessert.

The Crew were top notch. Everyone pitched in to launch and recover dives, including the chefs! Everyone was kind, attentive and showed up with a magnetic, positive personality each day.

Pre-arrival:

The boat departs from San Cristobal. To get there, I flew by LATAM into Quito, then to Guayaquil, then to the Island.

Arriving at Quito airport, I found a Calipso representative waiting at the door to the terminal who helped me clear the next several, confusing steps. In SCY, the Calipso team met us outside the terminal. We gathered luggage and waited for another arrival before heading to the boat.

Arrival and beyond:

Day 0: San Cristobal

After lunch we had our checkout dive, twenty minutes in the cove off San Cristobal.

Dive 1: San Cristobal
  • Water temp: 70
  • Current: None
  • Visibility: 30’
Day 1: Mosquera Island

Overnight to Mosquera Island for a disappointing first day of diving.

Dive 1: Mosquera South
  • Water temp: 74
  • Max depth: 108’
  • Average depth: 51’
Dive 2: Mosquera East
  • Max depth: 106’
  • Average depth: 59’
Dive 3: Mosquera North
  • Current: Strong
  • Max depth: 66’
  • Average depth: 39'
Day 2: Point Douglas

Day 2 was the coldest of the trip, and I was thankful to be dry. For these dives I put on two smart wool base layers, and it worked ok.

Dive 1: Point Douglas Deep
  • aWater temp: 63
  • Current: light
  • Visibility: 40’
  • Max depth: 75’
  • Average depth: 51'
Dive 2: Point Douglas Shallow
  • Water temp: 69
  • Current: very surgey as you got toward the shallows
  • Visibility: hard to tell - I was shallow the whole time
  • Max depth: 18’
  • Average depth: 9’
The marine iguana dive. This dive was a riot. It was less of a group dive and more an every-diver-for-themselves affair, in about 10’ of water. More of a snorkel than a dive. Strong surge, lots of marine iguanas unbothered by our presence, rays, turtles and sea lions. One of those core memory dives that simply can’t happen anywhere else on the earth.

Dive 3: Punta Vincente Rojas
  • Water temp: 64
  • Current: none
  • Max depth: 106’
  • Average: 62’
This dive was an attempt to meet the elusive Mola Mola. A positive entry, down 100’ on the point and sure enough two Mola Mola on the point to greet us, somewhere a bit deeper around 115’. A few of our divers went deep - saying later they crossed 40 meters while chasing the mola mola. If true, it feels like quite a gamble on Nitrox for a few moments with a fish.

Dive 4 was scrubbed in favor of a panga tour of the point and an early departure to Darwin, which was well worth it.

Day 3: Darwin Island

Darwin and Wolf are the two big guns of the Galapagos, requiring an overnight crossing and presenting us with the most demanding currents but also incredible quantity and variety of sea life.

Dive 1: Hollywood
  • Water temp: 5
  • Current: moderate
  • Max depth: 81’
  • Average: 46’
Dives one and two both had us clinging to a series of ledges overlooking the abyss. It really was a tremendous place to sit and watch an incredible show. Visibility wasn’t great but the marine life was unparalleled. Mostly we sat and watched, and when a whale shark passed by we would zip out into the blue to chase it before returning.

The current gets stronger as the day goes on, so while dive two was more of the same, it was under more uncomfortable conditions. Safety stops for both were in the blue.

Dive 2: Hollywood
  • Current: strong
  • Max depth: 61’
  • Average: 45’
Dive 3: Hollywood
  • Current: very, very strong
  • Average: 40’
Dive three was a **** show and we’re lucky no one was injured or lost. All the strong current dives were negative entry, and one diver couldn’t make it off the surface and so aborted and rebounded the panga - I don't think most of us knew she hadn't made it down, though. The rest of the team made it to the bottom, and after a minute of waiting for the missing diver, the guide told us to buddy up, group up and signaled to go up and abort the dive...

…except we didn’t abort the dive. Instead, the diver made it onto the panga which signaled with its engine that it had picked her up. Our guide, apparently hearing the panga, changed his mind and reengaged the dive, beelining for the rocks at 80’. This to me is a cardinal sin. If we signal to abort the dive, we abort the dive. We've wasted gas, we've created confusion with non-standard hand signals, and reengaging just seems like tempting fate.

This dive didn't get better from there. We spent the remaining 40 minutes clinging to rocks for dear life in current. We had more issues with divers who were more focused on taking pictures than sound diving, and there were a lot of crushed fingers and kicks to the face among the group. Mostly it was holding on, waiting for the end.

There was a fourth dive, but all but two of my group decided to skip it.

Day 4: Darwin and Wolf

Day 4 was split between three morning dives at Darwin, and a late afternoon dive at Wolf. This was another 5:45 AM wake up call, with a dive before breakfast, and then two back to back to get us on the road south.

Dive 1: Darwin’s Arch
  • Water temp: 75
  • Current: very light
  • Max depth: 75’
  • Average: 53’
Dive 2: Darwin’s Arch
  • Water temp: 71
  • Current: moderate
  • Average: 40’
Dive 3: Shark Bay
  • Water temp: 76
  • Current: none
  • Max depth: 66’
Day 5: Wolf Island

We split the first two dives between Shark Bay and Landslide and ended with the party on the top deck.

Dive 1: Shark Bay
  • Max depth: 86’
  • Average: 47’
Dive 2: Landslide
  • Water temp: 76
  • Max depth: 57’
Dive 2: Landslide
  • Water temp: 60
  • Current: strong
  • Max depth: 60’
  • Average: 76’
Day 6: Cousin’s Rock and Santa Cruz land tour

Dive 1: Cousin’s Rock
  • Current: very light
  • Max depth: 86’
  • Average: 47’
Following the dive at Cousin’s Rock, we motored on to Beltran to disembark and spend the day on a land tour, which included visiting lava bubbles, a land tortoise reserve and a few hours of free time in Santa Cruz itself. A few of our passengers departed at Santa Cruz, heading off for new adventures.

Day 7:

Overnight from Santa Cruz to San Cristobal, our final breakfast of the trip, settling up and returning to the airport after a few hours wandering San Cristobal before meeting up to take a bus to the airport, where boarded our planes and traveled on.

We also had a few mishaps on the trip that had their genesis in recklessness or perhaps inattention. On two different dives, we had a diver run out of air and need to share air with a buddy or the guide to get back to the surface.
Was this the same person each time or a different person? Every liveaboard I've been on stresses ending the dive with 500psi and chastises people that arrive back onboard with less than that. I'm surprised this happened multiple times in a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom