Liveaboard Recommendations with Cheap Flights from UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossyl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

Hoping you can give me some advice on a potential liveaboard trip.

I'm after recommendations for a liveaboard that isn't too far from the UK so cheap flights are still possible.

Location, What isn't too far?
Middle East, North Africa, Red Sea (not Thistlegrom/Ras Mohamed), Europe in general.

Ideally like to see...
Large marine life; rays, sharks, whales, turtles etc

Time of Year
Sept-November

I've been to the Red Sea before, Thistlegorm, Ras Mohamed etc. I would rather not repeat that trip.

I had thought of Oman, but some of the reviews of the LOB's are very negative on here.

South Red Sea near Sudan maybe?

Thanks very much

You might price Cayman or Turks/Caicos also. Longer flight but obviously direct and they both still have strong UK affiliations so there might be some deals. Either boat will see 3/4 on your list but no whales. More turtles/rrays off Cayman, lots of reef sarks in the T/C's. And quite a few turtles.

No idea on the cost.

Can you get to Cabo San Lucas affordably. All on yiur list plus Mantas, Whalesharks, Hammerheads etc. are possible on the Socorros Islands trips, Rocio Del Mar, Nautilus Belle Amie, others routinely see all that. It;s an all day boat ride from Cabo though. I think it's closer to Jan/Feb. but they also see Pilot and Minke whales at times. Humpbacks at certain times but I don't think you are allowed to dive with them.

If Costa Rica isn't too expensive, Cocos Island is the place to be.

Agree with cocos and Socorro, but if you are coming that far you may want to put Maldives on your list. It’s closer, no 30 hr crossing on the boat, easier diving and likely cheaper...and better boats... cocos and Socorro are likely a bit more bucket list IMO. I loved Socorro, but wish it was my 7th+ ish liveaboard as opposed to my first... cocos was great, but also much better when I was experienced (10+)

Hi Everyone

Hoping you can give me some advice on a potential liveaboard trip.

I'm after recommendations for a liveaboard that isn't too far from the UK so cheap flights are still possible.

Location, What isn't too far?
Middle East, North Africa, Red Sea (not Thistlegrom/Ras Mohamed), Europe in general.

Ideally like to see...
Large marine life; rays, sharks, whales, turtles etc

Time of Year
Sept-November

I've been to the Red Sea before, Thistlegorm, Ras Mohamed etc. I would rather not repeat that trip.

I had thought of Oman, but some of the reviews of the LOB's are very negative on here.

South Red Sea near Sudan maybe?

Thanks very much

Hi there,

I would suggest Djibouti if you're looking for close to home and whale sharks. The time of year you're looking at is whale shark season and there are dedicated safaris for whale shark encounters, or you go do a general dive safari. The corals are pristine and the reefs offer Red Sea style diving but without the crowds. You can find out more about it here:

Djibouti scuba diving
https://www.liveaboard.com/diving/djibouti/scuba
Thanks,

Kathryn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom