Liveaboard Recommendation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the cabins on the T/C Explorer that I saw (3-4 on the main deck plus 1 of the two premiums were configured to a queen/cal king configuration. IDK but suspect they might have something to bridge the gap, I didn't see it (the gap)

A couple looked to be only exit to one side though as they're right up against the wall in hat configuration. The one directly across from us had an aisle on both sides and IIRC a tallboy dresser. IIRC correctly there's 10 of those cabins plus the 2 premium cabins a deck up.

Only the cabins on the lower deck are bunks.

One consideration for us vs the T/C Aggressor was that our cabin (1/10) was above the waterline about 15'. Down the hall was the dining room, lounge then dive deck - all on the same level. A few stairs down to the dive platform level. Except for the Premium(s) I believe ALL the T/C Aggressor cabins are below deck with portholes. I can't remember if our Explorer cabin had one or two windows? We also had a corner desk so the area by the closet aand bathroom was that wide.

They run basically the same itinerary, we saw them at the next mooring about 3-4 times during the week. Our trip might have priced a couple hundred less b/c they both bundle different things. The big add-on for us was the fuel surcharge - it was $300?

Also TCEX2 has a covered fly bridge and they stock drinks up there. It's one level up from the sundeck and has padded benches ad music. 10 of us lived there all week.

A lot of 2020 is already booked also so don't wait too long - esp. with `10.

When we did a a livaboard in The Galapagos our bed was huge and super comfortable. The cabin was simple but lovely. So much space to store luggage. That was first stop, we needed real clothes not dive gear for next stop. Compared to the double my kids had below deck, ours was worth every penny. Would have paid up for the kids but a bit weird for brother and sister to share the bed. In light of recent events I would rather pay up than have family members below deck anyway. Diving is awesome, being alive is better. I wouldn’t do a liveaboard in Cayman. No real reason as any op can put you in same or better sites (Cayman Aggressor is too big for many mooring pins). Some places in the world need a livaboard to experience the best they have to offer. Diving in Cayman is just way to user friendly to have to stay on a boat to get to really good dive sites. Sometimes they just sit on a mooring so it is the same site over and over. Just doesn’t appeal to us.

We would suggest the Turks & Caicos Aggressor, departure 16 September 2020

Turks and Caicos Aggressor II

There are still 5 Deluxe Cabins left with a bottom double bed each. The price per person is USD 3095.

Please let us know if you need any more information, we would be more than happy to assist.

Juliane from Liveaboard.com

The Cuan Law in the British Virgin Islands has 10 main-deck cabins that are fitted with queen beds. So they could easily accomodate 5 couples. Check them out at bvisailing.com. Their schedule says they are out for maintenance in September, but I know they are flexible so if you call with a date they may be able to accomodate your group.

Since both the Aquacat and the T&C Explorer 2 have been recommended, I thought I'd throw my "2psi" in.

I have been on both boats (on the Aquacat 5 times TCEx once). From a logistics point of view, both boats are easy to get to with many airlines offering flights into Nassau and Provo, so don't really let that be too much of a factor.

There is no doubt that the cabins in the Aquacat are large. I believe that they are some of the most spacious in the Caribbean if not the industry. They will almost certain be able to accommodate 5 couples if they have 5 cabins available. The diving is easy, and all dives are led if you want. Dive briefings typically end with the DM asking "OK, so who is coming with me?" If you choose to sit out a dive, then there is lots to do, from a nap to kayaks. Unfortunately, the last time I was on the Aquacat (October 2017), she was starting to show her age. I want to stress that all the glitches we had were quickly addressed, but we lost electrical power at one point, and later in the trip we briefly ran out of fresh water. The biggest drawback, is that life on the Bahamian reefs is not what it once was. This could be due to any number of things, (My guess is that it is a result of a combination of several contributing factors.) but it is something to keep in mind. Don't get me wrong, it will not be an apocalyptic wasteland, under the surface, but you also won't see the life that there was before the Lionfish became as common as they now are.

As for the TCEx2, it is NOT a fancy boat. If you are looking for "5 Star Amenities" this is not your boat. The crew, however have an uncanny ability to make you feel at home, and within minutes, you will be seeing the Main Salon as though it was your living room at home. Diving from the TCEx2 is also pretty easy, but two things to be aware of are that the diving will almost certainly be "sharky". You will see Reef Sharks almost everyday and some days on almost every dive. If someone in your group is a little nervous about sharks, this may not be the trip for them. The other thing about the TCEx2 is that when you get back at the end of your dive, the boat will almost never be where you left it. For some reason, it swings a lot on its mooring line. You basically have two options. Swim to the mooring line and follow it up to the boat or wait a couple minutes (you have to do a safety stop anyways) and the boat will swing on back. As an aside, the "trapeze ride" on this boat is a lot of fun.

I hope that helps a little.

I just got back from the DEMA Dive Show in Orlando. I might be able to get you a group deal on Explorer Ventures or Aggressor.

Greg
Liquid Diving Adventures

Hello Greg! I've been thinking of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom